Saturday, February 12, 2022

🎶 "all about the birds, 'bout the birds" 🎶

While savouring a very large cup of coffee this morning, I completed all the lessons in my third bird course and then took the final quiz.  The passing grade is 70% and I passed by the skin of my teeth.  These courses cost money so thankfully you are permitted to take the tests as many times as necessary to reach a passing grade.  I did miserably on the section called "Not So Confusing Fall Warblers" and "Quick as a Flash".  In a week or so, I will take another course.  

These courses help with identifying similar species. They also help when it comes to sketching the differences. My goal in these projects was to first lay a layer of watercolour on paper and then sketch on top of the watercolour.  I am wanting to eventually include more detailed watercolour painting.  I have tried but it's a challenge and I have not been happy with the outcome.  The two male woodpeckers and the three chickadees are completed with coloured pencils.  

The major differences are: 
  • the hairy is larger than the downy
  • the hairy's beak is as long as its head whereas the downy's is smaller than its head
  • the downy has black markings on its tail feathers

These are three chickadees that I have seen while being "out & about" yet I sketched them from tutorials. The visible differences are in the colouring and the markings.  I learned enough that I am able to identify them when presented with a quick sighting.  


Today I headed to Carburn Park for sunrise and to get a good fill of spring-like weather and scenery.  The last time I saw a Robin was the end of autumn last year.  My understanding is that some Robins winter in Alberta but most people don't spot them until spring.  I saw my first American Robin today!  There were five all together being as busy as bees or I mean birds.  

view from along the trail

just enough pink

The American Bald Eagle was hanging out in its usual location!

These are two male Buffleheads.   While I have spotted these ducks before, this was the first time I noticed the dark iridescent green or purple, or it could be the first time because today the sun shone down on them at the perfect angle.  The other times I saw them, those green and purple sections looked black. I learned all about this in my recent bird course. 

While I write this post, I can smell smoke and just learned our firefighters are battling a grass fire up on Nose Hill.  I was up there a couple of days ago and noticed how dry it was and how there were cracks in the ground on the trails I was hiking along.  More details should come out tomorrow.   


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your certificate, visual sightings and sketching.
    I am totally hopeless at bird identification and no doubt will always be so.
    It must be lovely to feel spring in the air but let's hope it dosen't lead to another smokey summer.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.