Sunday, February 13, 2022

Horseshoe Canyon Drumheller February 13, 2022

Hiking in Horseshoe Canyon near Drumheller was the perfect place to frame today in a unique way before heading off west tomorrow for another round of therapy!  The main parking lot is closed off and the picnic area is closed for the season, but the canyon trail remains open for hiking.  I owned the place 100% outright!   

It wasn't until I woke this morning that the idea of heading here popped into my head.  I was quick with gathering my gear together and hitting the highway before the sun came up.  It was a most beautiful trip watching the sun rise as I drove east.  I debated whether to stop for sunrise photos but I opted out, I just wanted to get to Horseshoe Canyon.  

view ahead of me after hiking down into the Canyon
The early morning glow was still evident!  It was cold as I began hiking and needed all my layers.  As soon as the sun comes up over the Badlands, it warms up quickly.  With it being so dry, there was no issue with slipping and sliding in mud which can tend to happen here.
Today my wardrobe pieces blend in with the landscape!

some sections of snow that were easily avoidable
The lighting was amazing and I played with it continuously.  
I like how the shrubs in the foreground stand out from the way the sun hits them.
what the cactus look like in winter
How about that ring in the sky as the sun begins to peek above the Badlands!

This photo is all about the shadow!  After taking a photo just in a standing pose and then seeing my shadow when I checked to make sure the photo was OK, I then attempted this and got it on the first try.  See my shadow? I wanted a crazy one and got it!
following the still frozen creeklet
beautiful scenery
There are a sprinkling of trees down in the desert-like valley.  
incredible formations
About two hours after arriving at the trail head to Horseshoe Canyon, it was time to climb back up to the rim.  I did not bother to go down to that platform, I just took a break here to take off another layer.  Whew, what a warm day down here! This photo shows the vast valley where I wandered.

Today it was desert-like and warm, tomorrow I am going in search of winter!  I know it's out there! 



4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank You Mary! I am fortunate to have this less than an hour drive from home.

      Delete
  2. Three days for you to go from cacti 🌵 to icefields. 🧊 ❄️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so lucky to have such diverse landscape so close to home!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.