Friday, February 18, 2022

Marathon to Athens Virtual Challenge Complete February 14, 2022

With all the unusual warm weather we had been experiencing, I was concerned the skating season might come to an end before being able to complete this virtual challenge in the time frame I committed to. My hope was to be able to find good skating conditions while out west on another mountain therapy escape.  I had success and then some!  I crossed the finish line of the Marathon to Athens Virtual Challenge on February 14th while skating on wild ice at Lake Minnewanka in Banff National Park. 


This challenge was a marathon length of 42 kilometres and it took eight skating sessions to cover that distance.  I used the conversion factor provided by the Conqueror Team to calculate the percentage I could use of the total distance I skated during each session.  From Marathon to Athens, from start to finish, the route fully in blue now, I'm done!
I completed the challenge well within the time frame, with 21 days to spare.  As it is turning out, while I write this post, we are headed back into a deep freeze, so skating conditions outside within the city could be back on again. 

a few photos from when I skated my way along the virtual marathon route
After posting my skating distance from February 14th into the conqueror app, this notice popped up!  My understanding is this medal is another one with moving or removable parts.  In three weeks I will see for myself!  

two postcards from this virtual challenge


It's mid February, it's still winter!  I am not ready to put my skates away.  I am happy for this deep freeze and the snow that is forecasted to accompany it.  If I do get to skate again, the kilometres will now go towards the Conquer 2022 Virtual Challenge which is currently in progress and will be for the entire year.

 

4 comments:

  1. Interesting that this was completed as the winter Olympics were being held.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In hind sight, for the Minnewanka skate on the 14th, I should have worm my red Canadian winter Olympic mittens and had my Canadian flag!

      Delete
  2. Oh I envy all of your nice skating locations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few more places with wild ice. As you know from experience, it is a hit or miss game. Next winter I will try for more hits..

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.