Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Mountain Therapy Escape February 15, 2022

Skating on Lake Louise   Hiking at Emerald Lake
Sightseeing the Natural Bridge
at Banff National Park & Yoho National Park 


Before checking into my home away from home yesterday, I checked out the Lake Louise skating conditions and they did not look favourable at all.  The ice looked lumpy and snow covered.  It appeared it was not cleared nor flooded in days.  This morning my plan was to see the sunrise at Lake Louise and afterwards decide whether to skate or not.  It was a gorgeous morning here, with only two other single people walking about enjoying the peace and prettiness.  
 morning reflection after the sun came up
I brought my skates, I was here, there was no question on what to do!  I skated!  It was lumpy, there was a thin layer of snow, yet it was wonderful!  It would not be a fast skate nor a far skate this morning but it was a skate on Lake Louise on a most beautiful morning!  
I wondered would people be looking out the windows of The Chateau, surely they would have been to watch the sun rise.  As the moments went on, the morning grew more spectacular.  I was enjoying being here skating yet had more plans for today and it was time to move on further west into Yoho National Park.
Before heading to the bench to change back into my boots, I captured one more photo of Mount Fairview. I missed hiking up there this past year when I was camping at Lake Louise.  I hope to get up there this summer.  While removing my skates, a couple from Oklahoma came along.  They were staying at The Chateau and were nervous about skating on the lake so decided not to.  It was a bucket list item for them.  After taking photos of them with their iPhone while they stood on the edge of the ice in their boots, we chatted and I convinced them to at least give it a try.  As I was leaving I looked back and they were making their way to checking off a bucket list item!

The drive west into British Columbia's part of Yoho National Park was easy breezy, clear dry summer like road and no traffic other than two trucks who were far behind me.  I arrived at the Emerald Lake parking lot to see only two other cars yet not a person in sight.  It was dreamy here today! My plan was to hike across Emerald Lake to the back side, then follow along the back width to see the marshmallows and return the way I went out.  Before doing that I stopped by the open water area to admire the reflection. This location never totally freezes over and there is always the opportunity to capture some kind of reflection.  Today's reflection was the best!
I am aiming for back there some where!
looking back at the Emerald Lake cabins that line the shore
getting closer to the back side of Emerald Lake
it was now that I was wishing I brought my X-C Skis
reports had been that it was icy but it was not
arriving at the marshmallows
There was a firm beaten snowshoe/hike trail through the snow mounds.  I followed that trail.
Being very late morning, I was beginning to get hungry.  The bench area was clear of snow.  A shovel is left there in the winter so people can clear away the snow.  I worked my way down onto the bench and settled for awhile under the sunny sky to savour my tea and sandwich.
perfect pouring conditions
There was a firm packed trail to follow along at the backside of Emerald Lake and the views were incredible from there.  The snowshoe/hiking trail followed along side the X-C Trail.  The cross country skiing conditions looked like they were divine! That is probably a small creek running through the meadow leading towards the mountain.
a trail alongside the marshmallows
being one with the marshmallows
view from the bridge over the creek
The marshmallows lined the entire back stretch of the Lake and were dozens deep.
After reaching the far end of the back side, I then returned the way I came.  By now a few cross country skiers were coming along and they were delighted with what they were experiencing.  I dilly-dallied not wanting to leave here but it was time to get on with the day and cross back over Emerald Lake.  I arrived back where I started my hike and always smile when I see the canoe shed with canoes in it, hibernating for the winter.  

By now the parking lot had many cars and those probably belong to the people I saw in the distance cross country skiing along the track at the edge of  Emerald Lake.  I removed my spikes, hopped in the car and drove the road to the Natural Bridge. 

I had never been to the Natural Bridge in Yoho National Park but drove by it every time I had been to Emerald Lake as it is on the way to and from The Lake.  This time it was one of the items on my "todo tosee" list. At least I knew I would see the area but I had qualms about actually going down into the Natural Bridge due to safety issues. 
This is the view shortly after the parking lot and the snow covered barrier at the view point on the right. People had climbed over the barrier and there was a beaten trail that headed off and down, there was no way on this earth I was going to follow that trail.  
I stuck to trails I was comfortable with and this was one of them.  After crossing the manmade bridge, I took a trail to the right that led to this location.  The Natural Bridge is in the middle bottom, it's that dark opening which is a bridge made from ice.  There were two couples over there that would have reached it from the other side. 
Instead of going over to the Natural Bridge, I admired the pools of colourful water.
I like how the snow decorates the rock formations.
looking down the creek

This place offered incredible beauty today.  After following along some safe trails near the creek, I made my way back up to the top.  Before crossing back over the manmade bridge, I checked another view point and saw the two couples still below at the Natural Bridge.  One couple was inside and the other couple now trying to find a safe way back up to the top.  After hearing creeks and cracks and seeing chunks of snow and ice breaking away, I could no longer watch them.  I went on my way back to the car and then back to my home away from home! 



2 comments:

  1. You've turned my summer memories into wondrous winter ones!
    What amazing weather for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like when people get to see what places look like in another season other then when they were there!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.