Wednesday, February 9, 2022

catching up on urban happenings

This post is a compilation of my "outs & abouts" over the past few days.  After my mountain get-away and then in between lunches, courses, sketching and watching Olympics, I got out there in the spring-like weather to see what was happening around this lay of the land.  

This was the start of a brand new day full of promise!  
I like to think they all have something to look forward to and I search for that.

On this day, I managed to arrive up on Nose Hill just after sun rise and be there to witness the golden glow hour.  This is what the middle of winter looks like locally right now. 

It heard me and smelled me before it spied me!  The second it turned its head and saw me, the coyote took off like a bolt of lightning.  It was early morning and very quiet at the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary so it was roaming about freely. 

I purchased an annual membership with a local birding society so I could share time with like minded people and use my time being out with them to gain knowledge.  I'm also gaining knowledge through another birding course.  This one is called "Be a Better Birder 2: Colour and Pattern".  There are quizzes throughout the course to test your knowledge on what you have learned so far, I am not doing well on identifying birds that do not hang out in this part of the world.  While out with the new group on a trail that is new to me, I preferred to spend my time listening to what the experienced birders had to share and looking to see what they saw.  I only took a few photos and this was my favourite.  It is a male Hairy Woodpecker.    

These two white-tailed deer took off when I appeared on the scene on this day up on Nose Hill.  You can see the Olypmpic Ski Jump in the middle distance.  That's the only place with snow and that's because it is man made.  There is still lots in the mountains! 

a sweet little Black-Capped Chickadee with a band on its leg

The local ponds are thawing and offering up spring time reflections!
I captured this photo while strolling around Beaumont Park.

While it felt like full on winter this morning at The Sanctuary, it looked otherwise.  The ice in The Lagoon is melting  and giving off this look.  To me it looks like the ice is breaking up in the shape of a tree shadow.  

Peek-a-boo I see you!  This Northern Flicker was hanging out in the stump of the tree.





1 comment:

  1. A beautiful morning!
    A double edged beauty if spring comes too soon!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.