Tuesday, March 15, 2022

planning & learning

If it happens in mid April, I want to be somewhat ready!  While learning what the northeastern coast of Spain is all about, I have also been learning more about working with watercolour brush pens and india ink.  In the midst of googling on what are must sees and must dos along the Costa Brava, I came upon numerous tutorials on how to render scenes from that area. 

Over the past year or so, I saw a style of water-colour works of art that appealed to me.  I attempted to replicate the scenes with paint brushes but had no success.  When I purchased a set of watercolour brush pens and began to get comfortable with them, I then gave the replicating process a go again.  What I learned this time around was that you lay the colours first and then place the outlines with india ink. What a difference this makes compared to laying the india ink lines first then filling in the colour.  

I learned there are many wineries and vineyards in the Catalonia region.  I have tasted wine in the Hunter Valley of New South Wales, in the Saanich Peninsula region on Vancouver Island British Columbia, in the Annapolis Valley region of Nova Scotia, at wineries in the Napa Valley of California and also around Kelowna and area in British Columbia.  It would be nice to visit wineries in Spain!  

I have a few india ink pens each with different nip sizes.  For this project I used a few of them.  The X-Small size was necessary for the very small details such as the windows on the villas and the petals on the flowers.  I learned there are many outdoor cafes with beautiful views in each of the seaside villages along the northeastern coast of Spain.

Beach life living is a must do when on the Mediterranean.  The temperature may not be ideal for full on swimming at the time yet sitting, sailing, sipping, strolling will be must dos.   Controlling the blending of colours is much easier with brush pens than it is with brushes.  I wonder, is the water really that colour?

There are mountain regions in the north of Spain that sit on the border with France and seeing them or actually being in them would be a welcome option.  I enjoyed creating these mountains and I like the look of them.  Only one colour was placed in the shape of mountains with various levels of boldness then a few lines were added using india ink.  They look like mountains to me!  

I have learned lots and still have loads more to learn!  Sketching and painting sights I hope to see pairs well with learning and anticipation!  



No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.