Wednesday, March 30, 2022

spring time "outing & abouting"

It has been such a pleasure frequenting local trails these past few days!  The snow is gone, the trails are mostly clear of ice, warm layers get left behind and I can feel the warmth from the sun!  The birds are arriving on a daily basis from their winter habitats, even the "snowbirds" are returning.  I have been "out & about" a lot and these collages show what spring time looks like right now closer to home!
 
On this day I hiked for three hours at Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park.  I went early with hopes of seeing a colourful sun rise but that did not transpire. What colour I did see that stood out was the blue of a Mountain Bluebird!  It was the first one for me to see this season.  This is a male Mountain Bluebird that I saw within a matter of minutes of beginning my hike.  It was still somewhat dark but I was able to get close enough to capture a decent photo.  I almost stepped on the American Tree Sparrow, once again it was still somewhat dark.  There were plenty of American Robins foraging on the ground.  I believe these two deer knew I was there but they did not bother to check me out.  While in the sunny open areas, I checked for crocuses but no luck spotting even a bud.  


On this day I made a visit to Confluence Park covering the Birth Forest, Nose Creek and the surrounding meadows and hills.  Upon arrival at the Birth Forest, I was greeted with much colour from this male House Finch.  Surely his crimson shade will attract the ladies!  The pathways were dry and clear of ice and snow but I imagine as the day went on there could be an issue with mud in sections.  Nose Creek is mostly running free of ice and now the Mallards are stopping by for visits. 


On this day I spent a few hours meandering around the trails and boardwalks at Dale Hodges Park.  There was a hiccup in the weather over night and a thin layer of snow was covering everything when I arrived.  I could hear many bird songs but mostly the Canada Geese and the Mallards were drowning out that sweet music. Some of the trails I followed were through thick forests and it was difficult to spot the small birds. I did spot a White-Breasted Nuthatch who stood upright long enough to get this photo.  The lady Mallard had lots to say while the male Mallard presented a perfect reflection in the pond.  The majority of the ponds were frozen.    


On this day I visited the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary to see who else has arrived for the season.  It was the Wood Ducks that captured my attention today although I did admire other species.  I spent quite a bit of time watching the antics play out between the colourful male Wood Duck and his lady friend.  The Sanctuary is an interesting place to visit these days as mating season is in full swing!  I did experience having to take a detour to avoid crossing paths with a Canada Goose pair!

 


1 comment:

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.