Thursday, March 17, 2022

Waterton Lakes National Park Day 2 afternoon March 17, 2022

The day was becoming more beautiful as the minutes and hours passed, but, the wind speeds were increasing too!  Stepping out of my vehicle and feeling the strength of the gusts was when I decided being up on top of the Bear's Hump would not be a safe place.  I opted then to hike around Linnet Lake which I had never done before and then head up the Prince of Wales Hill.  

This is the view from the shore of Linnet Lake.  During the dog days of winter in February, on the weekends, this lake is cleared and monitored for skating.  Today it was snow covered and I am not sure how deep the snow was.  The snow on the trail was more than enough though yet I managed fine with my spikes.  

view of the Prince of Wales Hotel up on the hill
From this side of Linnet Lake, I had a good view of the Bear's Hump which is that bump on the left. 
There are numerous benches along the trail and this is one of them.  
There would be no getting to it and sitting comfortable to enjoy a view.  
This is the view back to Linnet Lake as I began hiking up the Prince of Wales hill.  The trail uptake hill was not obvious at first and I ended up off  route then needed to bushwhack back to it.  That's the main road in the middle that leads into the townsite. 
Prince of Wales Hotel
(it will open for the season in May)
I made it to the top and had to hold on to my hat.  My hat fits snuggly on my head but the wind was so strong it was lifting it upwards, as it was doing to my camera bag too.  I held on tightly to everything.
The new walkway is complete and is very nice.  
The mountain names and elevations are listed in the cement.  

I did not stay long!  I have been up here when the winds have been strong but never as strong as they were this time.  I could hardly stand on my own two feet for a few seconds.  I did manage a couple of photos of the views.
Waterton Townsite in front of Bertha Peak
Once I got off the hill and back down on the trail in the trees, I could breathe a sigh of relief from the wind.  Before heading back to my suite, I checked out Cameron Falls, the campground, the lakeshore, the new Visitor Centre and drove up and down the streets that were clear of snow to see the store fronts and motel fronts still blocked with gigantic piles of snow.  

It then came time to sit back and relax sheltered from the wind

on the swing on my balcony 

and enjoy the view!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.