Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Waterton Lakes National Park Day 1 March 16, 2022

It was this same time last year when I spent three days in Waterton Lakes National Park and absolutely loved everything about the get-away.  From the weather to the drive to the scenery to the trails to the accommodations, I wanted to experience it all again, so wayward to Waterton I went!

the view south a little while after leaving Pincher Creek
a Lookout spot to the valley below
Before passing through the Park Gate, I stopped off at a view point and this was the view I saw.  A heard of elk were stamping along a trail uphill, to where I don't know!  After admiring the view, I drove through the open gates to Waterton Lakes National Park and aimed for the Red Rock Parkway to hike in the area.
The Red Rock Parkway is still closed for the season, so I parked at the gate and began hiking from there.  First things first, before hitting the trail, I cleaned my boots on this contraption. There is one at every trail head in the Park. 
 

Most of the time I spent wandering the hills that follow along side the Parkway and then veered north towards the Buffalo Paddock.   Due to the area being wide open and Waterton being windy, the hills and meadows were mostly windswept of snow. 

Even though the Parkway is closed, it is plowed and used by Parks People.   Along the way there were a few short periods of time when I pounded pavement crossing from hills on one side to meadows on the other. That is also when the Parks People drove by and we shared waves. 

followed this trail rather than the Parkway which is left in the photo

destination photo op in a wide open meadow
The views were as I hoped they would be.  It’s that wild look that appeals to me and with the strong winds it only made it feel and appear wilder.  Speaking of wild, I stayed well aware of my surroundings and also had bear spray close at hand. 
 That's the Waterton Golf Course in the middle with a bit of bare land.  
from wind swept meadows to snow capped mountain peaks
This is why it is called the Red Rock Parkway!
meandering towards the Paddocks and the Bellevue Trail
The views were gorgeous as I hike up & down the hills, 
some were bare while others were covered in snow drifts.
When I crested another larger hill, this is what I saw!  This is where that herd of elk ended up!  I first spotted them stampeding up the hill near the gated entrance to Waterton Lakes Park. Some were watching me.  I knew now this was as far as I would hike in this direction.    

wind and snow squalls came and went
what the wind creates
I followed the Bellevue Trail back out to the Red Rock Parkway and had this view looking to where the Parkway goes which is the Red Rock Canyon.  It was just before arriving here that another Parks vehicle drove by.  
looking back from where I came and now ready to hike to my vehicle
On the way back to my car, I stuck to the trails as much as possible so I could have views like this. For the thick forest sections and where the snow was deep was when I veered to the road.

Being late afternoon by now, it was time to drive into the townsite 
and check into my home away from home!  



1 comment:

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.