Sunday, March 6, 2022

rewarding sights that brighten and lighten

While winter does not know whether it is coming or going these days, I know I am ready to put my skates away until next winter!  My Marathon to Athens Virtual Challenge medal arrived and seeing the beauty and detail added a bright light to my day.  The circle piece on the front of the medal can be removed to reveal a coin that also can be removed.   The back is as nice as the front.  From The Ice Trail in the city, to the wild ice of Lake Minnewanka to skating on Lake Louise, each skating session was a joy-filled time! I am ready to put my skates in the basement and hang the medal on my grid board!    



On this morning at Carburn Park and Beaverdam Flats, I was greeted to a "spring-like winter wonderland"!  Spikes were needed but warm layers were not.  The day was dull but the sights were not.  These days in this area, it seems to be more of a ducks world than a birds.  I was fortunate for only the second time, to see a lone Snow Goose which is at the bottom left in the collage.  The male House Finch is sporting cheerful colours which means spring is in the air and he is feeling frolicky!   I saw a bright spot in the woods so bushwacked towards it to see someone had placed a bird feeder.  The female Downy Woodpecker is checking out the ingredients before indulging.  Bald Eagles are always a delight to see and this Juvenile stayed perched long enough for a short photo session.  A walk in the woods in these parks is a great way to lighten the load of what lays heavy on your shoulders!



These are my recent pieces of art!  The top two are from numerous ideas all put into one and the bottom sketch is from a tutorial.  They are all completed with coloured pencils on mixed media paper.  The Mediterranean scene sketch I call "dare to dream".  I only own one bird book and I am O.K. with that!  I shared the sketch of the sweet little ballerina on my social media page with the words  "🎵And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance!🎵"  I will always choose to dance!  The words between the musical notes are a line from a song by Lee Ann Womack.  I love what the song stands for and YES, I will always choose to dance!  I chose these cheerful colours to brighten the pages of my sketch book that sits open on my coffee table.


On this morning I entered the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary from a different trail. A new light layer of snow carpeted the ground and it took on the hue of the pretty pink in the sky.  No one else had arrived so I was first to greet the local residents.  

By now the sun was up yet that golden glow remained for a little while longer.
such a welcome sight after the dull days gone by
I had nothing to offer this Black-Capped Chickadee except for the love and comfort of my open hand.  For a matter of a few seconds it stood there but I let myself feel like it lasted minutes.   

A few weeks back the lagoon was filled with large open sections of water but those filled in when winter returned.  On this mornings visit, a small circle of open water signified spring again and offered up a beautiful reflection of trees and clouds.   
a male Northern Flicker remaining quiet for a few seconds while listening for a reply to his call out 

It was a beautiful couple of hours at The Sanctuary and the sights and sounds shone a bright light.  As I was following along the trail back to my car, this plane flew overhead.  This was a first for me to see.  It is the Westjet Disney Magic Plane with the theme from Frozen painted on it.  On the back are Elsa and Anna from Frozen along with things that represent a cold climate.  From a winter-like scene on the back, the season changes to summer as you get to the front of the plane.  I just felt how fitting it was to see this on this day!  


While I do search for the bright in each day, I cannot help but pray for peace in our world! 




2 comments:

  1. I wonder how many skating marathons have been done? LOvely badge!
    How beautiful to have the chickadee rest, even for a few seconds.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.