Thursday, March 17, 2022

Waterton Lakes National Park Day 2 March 17, 2022

When visiting Waterton at this time of year, it's not necessary to book accommodations well in advance.  Where I wanted to stay and the suite I wanted was available for a deal when I checked their site on the 14th to arrive there on the 16th.  I wanted all weather, road and avalanche conditions to be favourable before committing.  All would be ideal today for a hike along the Akamina Parkway from Little Prairie Day Use to Cameron Lake.     

It took quite some time to drive the Parkway to the Day Use lot, I stopped at every corner to admire the view.  The sun was up and giving way to that golden glow.  The road was dry and clear of snow yet the road seemed narrow in some sections due to the size of the snow piles on each side.   

view driving up the Akamina Parkway
This is a view of the trailhead for the Crandel Lake trail.  Parks People have removed the signs until the road is fully open and spring hiking season starts. I had considered snowshoeing this trail but felt on the lazy side when I saw how deep the snow was and no one had been in awhile.   
When I arrived at the Little Prairie Day Use area there was a vehicle of four people who were gearing up and getting ready to skin/ski off.   Also the groomer came along with his equipment, checked the X-C Ski trails then left.  I hit the road with just my boots.  It was firmly packed so spikes were not necessary.  
When I saw how perfect the X-C Ski tracks were, I then realized why the groomer moved on to somewhere else.  For a minute or so I was wishing I had my skis.  It appeared a groomer machine of some sort had also been back and forth pretty much the entire width of the road and that made for the perfectly packed hiking trails. 
view of the Akamina Trailhead as I hiked by
once again the signs are removed and on the right is the boot cleaning contraption
the only part showing is the sign and the railing you hold on to when wiping your boot
I arrived at Cameron Lake, the first person to do so today.  
Spring like conditions are much further away than they were this time last year.  
snow almost drifted to the roof of the eduction building 
snow drifts
Before attempting this, I checked to make sure the snow was firm enough to support me when I landed.
view of Cameron Lake
My intentions were to hike across Cameron Lake for about a kilometre like I did last year.
I walked for about five minutes and that was it.  No one had been since the recent snowfall and the wind had swept the snow to where there was no visible sign of any trail.  The snow was mid calf in depth.  There was no one else around and I was not comfortable in going any further.
I spent more time hanging around where it was easy to get to and admired the views.
I saw one Steller's Jay!  It sang a loud long lovely song!  
The wind gusts came and went and when they came they swirled up the snow.
It was time to head back.  By now I could see movement inside the Alpine Hut.  The Hut is only open in the winter.  It's an easy ski or hike or snowshoe in from the Little Prairie Day Use area and I understand it is a popular Hut for families with children.
The hike back was just as beautiful!  

There was no one else hiking or skiing in while I was hiking out.  I savoured some snacks in my car and then began the drive back.  The whole Parkway was quiet the entire drive back to the townsite.  It was now time to head on to another trail and see more sights for another couple of hours.


1 comment:

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.