Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Waterton Lakes National Park Crandall Lake June 28, 2022

Today would be my second time ever at Crandall Lake.  My first time was snowshoeing into it from the Akamina Parkway back in February of 2012.  Even many years ago when I camped at the Crandall Campground, I did not hike to the Lake.  Both of those times camping, a black bear came to my tent.  This morning I hiked into the Crandall Lake from the Red Rock Parkway and I made loads of noise.  

On my way to the parking lot, I pulled over on the side of the Red Rock Parkway to capture this photo.  This view with these colours and this weather made me excited for the day.  

another view from the Red Rock Parkway

I arrived to the parking lot at 7:15am and already was able to hit the trail wearing only one upper layer.  Very early on, the trail leads across a bridge and this is the view from that location.
The sign states this is a temporary trail head and I wonder if that has to do with the construction that is taking place close by at the Crandall Campground.  It was devastated by the 2017 fire and is still being rebuilt.  I cleaned my boots and then put boots to trail and headed inward and upward.
the view as I glanced over my shoulder
The trail was so lush and green and lined with wildflowers of all sorts.  
The forest was burned so like other trails, now there are views.  
a carpet of yellow
Bears Breath
The trail was in perfect condition.
paintbrush
Paintbrush lined the trail for a good stretch.
a bouquet of Bears Breath
Near the end of the trail, there was a sign and a junction.  In one direction was the backcountry campground and in the other direction was the outhouse and a bit beyond that were the food lockers.  First I went down to the lakeshore, the Lake is full and high and overflowing from the snow melt. Then I went left to see the tent pads before scrabbling over some white rock to reach Crandall Lake.  What a perfect reflection!  
After capturing my location shot, I found a nice big white rock and settled down for a good long while.  I savoured some snacks and just enjoyed being lost in the view.  I was wishing I had my sketching supplies with me.  It was very warm, there was no breeze and thankfully no bugs.  No one else was around, so I continued to hoot & holler every now and then plus also made random shoulder checks.   
one of the tent pads under a crazy tree just a few dozen feet from the lake
This was the only wild life I saw other than many birds and chipmunks.
On the way back, I stopped to admire a rock face.  I was able to get through some bushes to get closer.  I like to think this is Mother Natures rock garden.  There were numerous spots along the rock wall where gardens grew.
I read where there are no views when you hike in from the Akamina Parkway, even after the fire.  I somewhat remember that from when I snowshoed in.  I was not sure what this side would be like coming in from the Red Rock Parkway but I am happy to report I am happy I choose this route.  I still have loads of hours on my side today, so it's time to head off to see more new to me sights.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.