Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Waterton Lakes National Park Wishbone Trail June 28, 2022

Hiking in this area just outside of the National Park was new to me.  The trailhead for the Wishbone Trail is shortly after turning onto the Chief Mountain Highway that leads to the Canada/US border.  For each of the last three or four times I have gone to Waterton, this trail was on my list to visit but it never happened.  I had already hiked Crandall Lake today and the short Blakiston Falls trail yet I wanted more.  It was finally go time for the Wishbone Trail!

The Parks People are making their rounds to all the trailheads getting the signs up for the season.  This one must be soon on their agenda.  Just like at all other trailheads, I cleaned my boots before hitting the path.

There was so much along this trail that captured my attention and appealed to all my senses.  
There were mountain views, lots of wildflowers, meadows and forests, a variety of birds songs and the sky was filled with those fluffy puffy white clouds that I love so much.  I was quiet other than for some oohs and aaahs in the wide open sections but made sure to loudly announce my presence in the treed areas.
the trail was flat, winding and with a lovely view in all directions
I like how that tree and the surrounding clouds pair well together.
the trail leads from meadow to forest to meadow to forest
the only bridge crossing
It was not until I got home that I found out this was a Mountain Bluebird.  I just saw a bird in the tree, it was not singing.  It was hard to make an ID at the time with the lighting.  It almost looked like a gray shadow.  
Western Wood Lily
Just after rounding this corner between these trees, there was a very faint trail that veered off to the right. You can barely see it in the centre of the photo just after the obvious beige trail.  That's the trail I took that lead to the lake. 
I wish there was an app to ID this flower similar to the Merlin app to ID birds.  I am sure I could figure it out if I took the time and did some googling.  One day I will!  For now, it looks pretty in pink!
After crossing the meadow, I arrived at this beach like location and walked through the sand down to the water.  I also scooted up to the top grassy areas to see if there were trails but none were found.
this Savannah Sparrow was perched on a rock beside the water
This was the view when I stood at the water's edge.  I am near the south east end of Lower Waterton Lake. The Prince of Wales Hotel is on the top of the dark green mound in the middle.   
While sitting at the beach I saw a CocaCola truck pull off.  
I zoomed in quite a bit to capture this photo.  
It looks like it could be in a commercial.  
me in the meadow
This meadow was carpeted in Buttercups.
Wild Gaillardia also known as a Brown-Eyed Susan
I was just as slow on the return hike as I was heading in.  The sights the sounds and the smells were fulfilling and I wanted to continue taking it all in.  This was the view as I made my way through the last meadow.
When I arrived back at my car, a couple were just gearing up to hit the trial.  They inquired about the conditions.  They told me they have hiked this trail lots and it is very pretty in the autumn.  I now know I want to hike here again in September. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.