Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Waterton Lakes National Park Forum Lake June 29, 2022

Before pulling off at the Akamina Parking Lot to hike up to Forum Lake, I drove a couple more kilometres  along the Parkway for a quick visit to Cameron Lake.  It was cold, it was windy, it was quiet (only 2 other vehicles) but it was still early.  I was thankful to have picked a hike where I would be sheltered from the wind and I was ready to get going with that so I did not stick around here long.  

Shortly after crossing the road to the trailhead, you begin a very gentle climb through the burned forest.  I was here last September when I hiked to Wall Lake and the ground cover was pretty then, it was just as pretty today, it's so green.
While the forest is not thick with trees in full bloom, there was enough to offer shelter from the wind but not from the sun.  Today was different than yesterday, today I welcomed the heat from the sun.  
A way up here, everything is behind the times, this is a baby Bears Breath.  In another week or so it will be in full bloom. There were many yet to open and a few that already had.  I get a kick out of playing with perspective!  
After gaining some elevation, the snow covered mountains began to come into view. 
This is the border between Alberta and British Columbia and also where Waterton Lakes National Park ends.  It was here that I noticed a few dark clouds building in the direction that I would be heading.  I saw nothing in the numerous forecasts that I checked saying there was anything concerning to watch for. I watched anyway!
the kiosk at the border
It was not long after passing into British Columbia that I reached the intersection for Forum Lake.  Last September I went straight to reach Wall Lake, today I turned left.   I passed the Warden's Cabin and then made another left to begin the steep climb.  Thankfully the steep stretch was clear of snow and dry.  

After the steep stretch, it began to level out and it was here where the trail was covered in snow in parts.  People had been so for a little while I followed along where they had gone.  Where it got iffy, is where I pulled out my gps to get my location and to see the track I wanted to follow.  I checked this very often from this point on.  I reached this board walk and from this point on it was clear as to where I wanted to head.  
After descending a gentle snow slope, I arrived at Forum Lake!
Those dark clouds got closer and a bit darker.  They dropped some rain drops.  I captured my destination shot with intentions to then leave quickly and begin the trek back in case the weather got worse.  
As I began to put my camera away and get a rain jacket on, the dark clouds moved on and they were replaced with blue.  I then decided to stick around and take some more photos while enjoying the scenery.  The meadow at the edge of Forum Lake was carpeted in buttercups.  
one little iceberg remains
This was the gentle snow slope I came down to get to the lake.  
It was time to head on back so my plan was to just follow my boot prints through the snow.  This was the view ahead of me as I made my way through the snow.  On the way in, I did lots of kick stepping to make sure my prints would be visible for me on the way out.  At the end of this section, I met four people on their way in.  They were visiting from Vancouver and their plan was to do the full Akamina Ridge circuit.  They had not done it before but they knew what they were in for and they looked and sounded experienced.  It was nice chatting with them, plus is was nice to now know the trail in would be that much more obvious after the four of them just trekked through.  
the snow was melting and after yesterday's rain, there was lots of water around

On the way back, I admired Forum Falls.

All that was left was a bit more steep down hill, a gentle up hill from the main intersection and then a gentle down hill for two kilometres.  I took my time on that last two kilometres chatting with others who were on their way in, all were going to the much easier Wall Lake.  I enjoyed the drive back along the Akamina Parkway.  After dropping my car and gear off at my home away from home, I walked a couple of minutes down the street to purchase some fudge and chocolate.  That made a nice reward and paired well with my beer and barbecued chips. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.