Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Mountain Spirit December 13, 2022

The plan of attack for today was to search for those tiny little details that pack a punch full of mountain spirit!  I knew exactly where to find them so my first stop was at Lake Minnewanka to hike the shoreline. Before venturing too far along, I checked the conditions then realized I would need to stick very close to the shore today.

This was my opportunity to play with ice.  I looked for various sizes, polished the pieces, then placed them where they would make a great impression!  

These are the tiny details I hoped to find!  It took gingerly getting down on all fours where I could get up close and personal with Mother Nature’s creations.




Sections along the shoreline were sketchier than in previous years so I needed to veer off earlier than I had planned.  I followed the trail to Stewart Canyon and admired the views along the way.
on the trail to Stewart Canyon
I did not spend time at The Canyon, my preference was to be playing with ice.  When I arrived back at Minnewanka’s shore, I spent many, many, many more moments continuing to fill up with that mountain spirit collecting, polishing and placing.


Next on the plan of attack was to hike around Johnson Lake. Last year, I discovered there was a high trail so I took that route again today.  It offers grandeur views. This was as far to the edge as I dared to go. If I slipped off it would be a gentle slid in deep snow not that far down.  It almost sounds like fun!

A Whiskey Jack followed me for awhile, no doubt hoping I would offer up treats!
a view along the trail
Time came again to capture the tiny details!




My day was not done.  After completing the loop around Johnson Lake, I still had another location where I knew additional mountain spirit could be felt.  On my way to Cascade Ponds, this elk was in the pasture just off the road.  I watched it for awhile after capturing this photo, his only care was finding food,
At The Ponds I could hike a loop where I knew I could find lots of sweet sights like this reflection.
After photographing the reflection, I noticed I could safely and easily get down close to the edge.  Coming in from behind, the ice was very thick and supportive.  This is what I found when I got there!  There were loads of methane bubbles that were suspended in the clearest ice.  These are just two of the dozens of photographs I captured of them.

Further along I was entertained by this American Dipper.  I was lucky enough to get one decent photo as it  dipped up and down and up and down, dipping and bobbing dipping and bobbing in the water.
It took using my full zoom, rather then getting up close, to capture the delicate edges of the ice.
a Townsend’s Solitaire 
There is lots of open water at Cascade Ponds with not a whole lot of snow. There was just enough snow though, to create a marshmallow.  I stayed close to the water where it was safe to do so.  Lingering here lasted a little while, it was beautiful, peaceful and being here topped up the level of mountain spirit I was feeling.

The final touches of mountain spirit for today!






2 comments:

  1. What a day of maximum ice. And those bubbles! Lots of maxi about this lake ;-). Love the cardinal too, but really loved the angel ornament from yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me and the minni, the i's are now e's! Thank you for giving me that hint! The charm on the angel says "Angel's Promise", and it came with a poem which you can find if you search Angel's Promise Poem.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.