Thursday, December 15, 2022

Mountain Spirit December 15, 2022

Between yesterday’s snow and the frigid temperature this morning, finding beauty and that mountain spirit would be easy,  My hope for today was to complete the Sundance Canyon Loop which I had never done due to one reason or another.  When I arrived at the trail head parking lot, I already knew the views would be dreamy. The sun was up yet just barely so the lights were still on and a golden glow lit up the backdrop through the trees.


Where ever it was safe to scoot on down to the edge of the river, I did. 

The branches were covered in frost.

I arrived at the start of Sundance Canyon and entered. No one had been yet today but the trail was beaten   from prior days,  As I began to ascend the steep sections, I was thankful for my spikes.  This was the view up before I started to climb up.
You can see the bridge below that I crossed.  Between there and where I stood to take this photo was a section I knew I did not want to have to descend on if I did not have to.  
This section of the Canyon was so pretty.  
It was so cold here yet I did what I could to capture a selfie.  The trail was very narrow with lots of snow on the sides.  It was too cold to bare my hands for a period of time.  
After capturing the selfie, it was time to decide do I carry on or retreat the way I came.  From this point forward, I had not been before.  I had somewhat of an idea of what to expect so I went for it, knowing I could do an about face if need be for whatever reason.  Entering into the forest section was dreamy!  While the trail was packed, there was a layer  of new snow in it.  The trees were covered in snow.  
I see the makings of a heart in the shape of the opening. 
So far so good!  It was a winter wonderland in here, the trail was obvious and the descent was winding and gentle. 
When I completed the loop and exited the Canyon, I breathed a sigh.  All that breathing in the frigid canyon produced quite the build up of frost on my hair.  I enjoyed the Canyon hike yet was happy to be out and back on the trail by the river.  
It did not seem to be warming up and there appeared to be more frost on the trees.
Instead of staying on the main trail, I opted to veer off and do another loop, this time the Marsh Loop.  While the temperature was not appealing, the views were.  
This was the last view I admired from the Marsh Loop trail before heading back to my vehicle.  I was ready for warmth after feeling fulfilled from the mountain spirit I collected today.  
cozy    warmth    comforting      oh that mountain spirit 






No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.