Thursday, March 9, 2023

North Coast 500 Virtual Challenge Progress Report March 9, 2023

It's been less than a month since my last progress report!  It is time to put together another report sooner rather than later.  While I have been quickly moving along the route, it feels like I am going no where due to all the ins and outs along the many peninsulas.  The chart below is the proof I am making good progress.
At end of day March 9th and at the 376 kms mark, 
this is what it looked like from my location along the route.  
what I have covered in greenish/blue and red shows what I have ahead of me

This is close to where I virtually finished for the day on March 9th.  This is the Cathair Dhubh Estate.  The area is the Assynt Peninsula.  I checked the cost to stay in May for one of the two bedroom cabins.  For three nights it would be $766 Can, that's reasonable and it looks so inviting.  
just down the road from the cottages is Achmelvich Bay 


Looking back over the past few weeks, I received one more postcard when I reached 320 kms.  

This is an excerpt from the story that came with that card:

"On the shore of Loch Broom near the port, I found an inn where I took an outside seat to enjoy the lake and surrounding mountains whilst I had dinner. From the menu I chose a cider battered haddock with skin-on fries, peas and homemade tartare sauce and finished off with a steamed pudding with vanilla ice cream. I cleaned my palate with a crisp glass of viognier and finished the evening with a hot cuppa of Scottish Blend tea."


My cuppa tea after a cold walk in the woods on this day was a Canadian blend.

Loch Broom is another village where the name has Scottish roots and which is very close to my home town.  Looking at the map, it looks like the inlets and peninsulas along the shores of the Scottish Highlands.  


These are a few of the many beautiful virtual views along the North Coast 500 route!

 Ullapool

Rhue Lighthouse near Ullapool

at the 344 kms mark, I was near Drumrunie

just before Rhegreanoch

Falls of Kirkaig around 360 kms

I am truly enjoying what I am learning along the route of this challenge.  There is so much history and scenery that means more to me than what the other challenges meant to me, well other than The Cabot Trail Challenge.  I know I am missing lots along the way but I make sure to spend a bit of time every now and then really getting in there to google and oogle!  




No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.