Monday, March 13, 2023

Wandering in Waterton March 13, 2023


It took about a month of waiting for the stars to align to book a few days in Waterton Lakes National Park.    Because this Park does not get busy in winter, finding accommodations last minute is never an issue.  Finally the stars aligned and I put the plan in place to venture south.  The night before the weather turned and it was forecasted to now be very windy and very warm after a very snowy and very cold past couple of days. A most important factor was the road for the entire three hour drive was clear and dry.
The closer I got to Waterton, the more windy it became with gusts up to 70 kms/hr.  
The clouds tell the story!
at an overlook location just before the Park entrance 
where the prairies meet the mountains
I love this look!
Instead of doing something high or lengthy, I decided to admire the views at the  many road side pullouts. I noticed precipitation was falling in areas around me and a few times I drove through it but it did not amount to anything.


Before heading into the townsite, 
I drove up along the Akamina Parkway as far as it is plowed.  
For the majority of the drive, it was clear and dry,   
along the Akamina Parkway
The snowbanks are huge in Waterton Townsite.  
There is no ice nor water to be seen on Waterton Lake.
The main street had been plowed but as always, the stores shut down for winter.
This is the dock where you purchase your tickets for the lake cruise or to get a boat ride to the Crypt Lake trailhead during open season. That is Crandall Mountain in the background.
location acknowledging Waterton Lakes National Park 
is an International Peace Park with Glacier National Park in Montana, USA
Cameron Falls
This hotel on the waterfront closes for the winter.  
As you can see the snow almost reaches the second floor.
on the walkway near the boat dock
I checked in and then settled in.  The balcony furniture is still inside the suite for obvious reasons.  I tried to clear away some snow but the only success I had was building a snowman instead.  There is wind and warm in the forecast so we will see how long the snowman lasts and what activities I can safely accomplish.





2 comments:

  1. Magnificent snowy scenes on your drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My timing was perfect to see all that snow! It warmed up quite a bit down there in the past few days and I imagine lots of that snow is gone now.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.