Tuesday, March 21, 2023

the watch is on

While "out & about" yesterday, it suddenly occurred to me that it's time to start hunting!  Spring arrived today and with that the crocuses shall soon begin to peek out.  While there is still snow on some sunny slopes, that does not necessarily stop the pretty pink and purple blooms from making an appearance.  My first sighting last year was on March 31st and from the look of that wildflower, it had been out for a couple of days. My first sighing of 2021 was April 5th.  

During spring of 2020 I painted crocuses on rocks with acrylic paints.  In 2021 & 2022 I rendered crocuses with coloured pencils.  2023 brings you my watercolour painting of a crocus sprouting out of the snow!  Painting this flower was a challenge!  Never before have I wasted so much paper and paint on a watercolour painting project! With each attempt, after an hour or so in, it ended up in the garbage.  I forged on!  For this finished crocus, It took layer upon layer upon layer of paint to build the crocus!  For the petals, it took mixing various amounts of pink, blue and purple with a splash of gold and yellow brushed in.  The finishing touch was using gouache to make the snow.  I tilted the sketchbook upright, stood back, and breathed a pleasing sound indicating I loved my crocus!  


spring 2020


spring 2021


spring 2022



March 31, 2022

April 5, 2021

Stay Tuned 



 

4 comments:

  1. So pretty. It is nowhere near spring here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my hopes up but that spring feeling was just a fling! Snow and cold are upon us again!

      Delete
  2. I'm sure they must bring so much joy when spotted peeping out from the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do bring joy and when I see them that is when it feels like spring to me!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.