Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Wandering in Waterton March 15, 2023



By end of day yesterday, the wild wind worked its way down to a decent level and then overnight into this morning it became non existent.  Whew, that meant it would be a safe and enjoyable experience to be out & about today.  Yesterday’s original plan became today’s plan, a hike into Cameron Lake from Little Prairie.  Hiking options are limited in winter so this is one I always do when I visit Waterton in winter. I am ready to go! 
What tracks were there were faint.  The ski tracks were filled in and there were no visible walking or snowshoeing tracks.  I was sharing the route with something else that was here very recently as the tracks were as fresh as could be.  The snow was hard packed and supportive as long as I stuck to the middle.  
view of the moon setting over Mount Custer in Glacier National Park Montana 
at the far end of Cameron Lake 

As I  passed by the Alpine Hut, I could see through the trees, people were packing up.  The tracks from the hut were obvious leading towards Cameron Lake.  They were probably from late yesterday.
at the entrance 

As I got closer to Cameron Lake, there were spots where I broke through the hard crusty snow.  I moved gingerly with careful foot placement.  The snow was supportive on the edge of the lake and that is where I stayed.  During numerous past winter visits here, I walked across the lake for a good distance, that was not happening today. It hurts and it is work when you break through that hard crusty snow.
Two Stellars Jay gave me a loud welcome.  This one watched me intently, I imagined it was hoping I would share my snacks.  While it was not cold nor windy here, the Jay had its feathers fully fluffed up. 
my destination shot

photo at the same spot from last August

tea time

While savouring my tea and the scenery, along came a Park Warden on a skidoo.  He parked his doo, ditched his helmet, then came over to where I was.  We chatted for a lengthy time.  I tried to nonchalantly check out the gear he had on.  It looked like a bullet proof vest but I was not sure.   While we were talking, along came the groomer setting new cross country ski tracks.  They chatted and I went about my business.

bears between the educational signs
It was time to begin the trek back.  The sun was high and the shadows were pretty.
The Park Warden waved has he drove by and I got him in action after he passed me.
shadow shot

On the way back, I passed the people who were heading out after spending a few nights at the hut. I also met a large group of people on backcountry skis heading in for a day of skiing the slopes.  If you look close, you can see the groomer setting a track through the forest. This was a busy place today.  


Before driving back into the townsite once I drove back along the Akamina Parkway, I headed out to Pass Creek Day Use Area which is also a camping location only in winter.  These are a few photos showing the location and set up.  It is a beautiful spot for a picnic. 







2 comments:

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.