Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Wandering in Waterton March 14, 2023


When I woke and saw what the wind was forecasted to be like today, I put an alternative plan in place.  Instead of being up high or off into the wide open, I stuck close to my home away home where there would be numerous locations to take shelter.  While wandering about, I kept my ears and eyes open for the Parks People who were doing their thing. Each day, all day, they are clearing major streets.
With a route in mind, I bundled up and aimed for the lake shore.  
Parts of the path were wind scoured and others were drifted over.  
This video gives you an idea of what Waterton is known for, both beauty & the beast!
The photos are not in order of the route I followed.  During my wander, I passed by where I like to stay in the summer.  They are due to open in mid May.
my favourite store in Waterton and 
where I catch the shuttle to hike the Carthew Alderson one way
The new Visit Center is open year round.  In my recent trips to Waterton, I did not go inside so today  I took a little time to stop in and wander about.  I also confirmed  with the Parks People which area near Cameron Falls is closed due to Avalanche concerns.  

a video with commentary 

a little slice of ice

The following three photos are views along the way heading towards the campground.


I spent lots of time wandering around the campground, snowshoes would have worked better than just my spikes.  Some of the shelters were free of snow drifts and I was able to find one to settle in for a break from the wind and savour a snack.
by Waterton Lake
I went as far as Cameron Creek.  Crossing the bridge over the creek was off limits due to avalanche concerns.  I could see where there had been two small avalanches on the slopes.  I took the easy was back along the lake and that was following the path between the trees where there was no snow.

With all the wind and the warm temperatures plus the showers that fell last evening, ice was now visible.  It took on that pretty blue hue.  It was from this location and three hours later that I headed back to my home away from home.
my watercolour painting of the above photo 





4 comments:

  1. Gotta love these wicked Waterton winds in winter. Those snow drifts are reminding me of something ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked back to our adventure there that day! http://alexmac2008.blogspot.com/2011/02/against-all-odds.html After experiencing that, I was hooked on seeing Waterton in winter!

      Delete
  2. I just visited Feb 2011. What a contrast in the weather. You certainly make the most of where you are whatever the weather. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter weather lasts a good five to six months so it is best to learn to embrace it!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.