Thursday, March 9, 2023

Skating Mission Accomplished

Back in December when I was pondering what I wished 2023 to look like, I wondered would I be able to skate around a total of 100 kms this season.  I reviewed the distances I covered skating in past seasons.  If ice conditions and driving conditions to get to the ice were favourable and I made an extra effort to fit more skating into my days, then 100 kms should be doable.  Once I sorted through all that, I then forgot about it and just went about my merry way.  As the weeks went on, I surpassed the 100 kms mark but thought nothing of it and it did not feel like an accomplishment.  Our weather warmed up quite a bit for a long stretch and it took a toll on the ice.  I resolved myself to the fact skating season is over.  But then, in came a polar vortex, it snowed, it stayed cold, it snowed again, the cold stuck around!  I made myself a mission!  Skate a total of 200 kms this season!  Today I reached that goal and surpassed it! After a 15 kms skate on Tuesday and a 15.6 kms skate today, I have skated 209.8 kms this season!

When searching for the benefits gained from skating, I came upon a site showing watercolour paintings of birds skating.  One stood out so I made my own painting of it. 



Tuesday's Skate

It had been a few days since I skated at Bowness and the weather changed throughout those days.  I had no idea what to expect ice conditions wise, but I knew what to expect weather wise after checking the forecast.  With windchills in the minus 20's, I donned my heaviest layers and took a chance.


I was pleasantly surprised to see the rating as good.

After seeing the rating, I then had a look at the ice before lacing up.  It looked much better and as it turned out, it had improved immensely. The sweepers and flooders were working their magic while I skated circles around them.  One other skater joined me but he called it quits after 15 minutes stating it was too cold for him.  I skated 15 kms.  I was left with needing 6 kms to reach the 200 kms distance covered.



Thursday's Skate

Wednesday would not work as snow was in the forecast all day.  Thursday would be the day!  Thursday morning came, I checked the forecast and saw the windchills again in the mid minus 20's.  I knew I could do it given I only needed to skate 6 kms.  The last time I skated The Ice Trail was January 18th.  I had no idea what the conditions of it were like.  This morning I drove directly to the ice edge and I could see from my car it was good.  This is where I will accomplish my mission.   


It had just been cleared of all the snow that fell yesterday and through the night.  It had not yet been flooded but it was in amazing condition, in fact it was better than the other times I skated on it this season. After skating for a little while I checked to see what distance I covered and then monitored my recording to see when I covered those 6 kms needed.  I did it!  I was so enjoying being here this morning that I continued skating and the next time I checked my recording, it showed I had skated 15 kms, I then skated back to the bench and my boots and called it a day and my stats showed I skated 15.6 kms today.  In total so far this season I skated 209.8 kms!  I have plans in place for the next many days so will not have the opportunity to lace up again for awhile.  I am happy with the distance I covered this skating season. If conditions are favourable come the end of March that will be an added bonus.





5 comments:

  1. 2 videos in one post! Beautiful days and you had it all to yourself (except for 15 minutes). I am bookmarking this for summer when it is miserably hot and crowded and I am waiting for winter and need something to brighten the day.

    Lar in Minnesota

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will do the same! If we have unusually hot temperatures this summer like we did last summer, watching this videos will be a nice cool treat!

      Delete
  2. A very cool treat for one suffering the heat and humidity, Down Under!
    Congratualtions. Fabulous achievement. I love the 2nd image above the last video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Helen! Most people here are ready for some heat and humidity (probably not as bad as you are experiencing though). I am not quite ready and planned to skate today but when I checked the website, I see they closed for the season yesterday.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.