Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Beaver Lodge & Route 66 April 5, 2023

I had been crocus hunting each day along local trails but came away each time with no success.  In a few days they will sprout and I will be back on the hunt.  I knew by leaving the city today, I was also leaving spring behind and also the opportunity to come across a crocus. I picked Beaver Lodge to wander through with a plan to hike up Route 66 afterwards. When I arrived at the gate and saw the conditions, I reworked my plan.  It is still full on winter here so there was no bare pavement nor a firmly packed trail to traipse along.  

It was only me and the snowman here!

I was hoping for an easy hike but it was not feeling that way.  
After a few kilometres in, I did an about turn and followed my track back…..
…..then veered off into the Beaver Ponds.
While still in open spaces here, the area offered shelter from the cold wind.  
There were just enough of those fluffy puffy clouds that I love so much.  
They helped in creating nice photo opportunities.
I wondered what occurred here!  
Something landed, then slid and that was where the animal tracks ended.  
enough sun, enough warmth, enough snow, enough melt to produce this icicle 
There was a path in the snow from days gone by, that I followed down to the river.
After strolling along the edge of the river, 
it was time to climb back up and find a spot in the campground to have a sip and a snack.  
on a picnic table 
American Dipper giving me the eye
one of the Beaver Ponds

Time came to leave Beaver Lodge and Route 66 behind and 
head off to enjoy something I never experienced before!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.