Thursday, April 27, 2023

spring in full bloom

Spring being in full bloom means many things!  A variety of birds are arriving from the south on a daily basis, crocuses are in their prime and other wildflowers are beginning to appear.  What it also means is that  in the city along with the rain comes snow yet it is all snow falling in the mountains.  Avalanche ratings are high or extreme and the warnings are out.  

For bird sightings I visited Dale Hodges Park then Bowmont Park for the crocuses.  This is my first sighting this season of a Yellow-Rumped Warbler.  I was surprised how close I was able to get to it.  I also saw one Yellow-Headed Blackbird, a Killdeer and dozens of Male Red-Winged Blackbirds. What I learned from the last course I took, was that male birds migrate first and look for a good spot for females to lay eggs.  When the females arrive the males woo them with their nesting locations and the female will pick the male that presents the best nesting spot.




There are numerous bridges and dirt paths throughout the wetlands section of the park.

Today's sights and sounds presented spring at its best!


🌤🌤🌤🌤🌤


There was a section of Confluence Park that I had not gone to yet to hunt crocuses.  They were so delightful on this day.  The backdrop of a beautiful sky certainly helps were their presentation.  There were so many in various stages of life, scattered everywhere on the slopes and in the middle of meadowy areas.  Many were fully or partially poking through ground cover.  I became picky and went for those that were fully exposed.  It was less work to photograph them.




Phlox Hodii
On my way back through the park, I came to a section were the birds hang out.  This is a Brown-Headed Cowbird, my first sighting of the season for one of these.  It was on its own sticking very close to three male Red-Winged Blackbirds.  
Song Sparrow

My motivation to be "out & about" has improved immensely.  
That's also something that comes with spring! 




2 comments:

  1. I have just caught up on your last 3 entries. Your photography of these amazing crocus flowers is stunning.
    I'm surprised at your last comment, [above] though. To me, your 'motivation' to be out and about, is inspirational, especially when I think back to all the k's you skated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty easy to get nice crocus photos, they are at their photogenic best right now! Not sure what it is these days but it has been taking some deep self talk to get out there. Things are improving though. It is good to know I am inspirational to others. Helen, you are inspirational!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.