Sunday, April 16, 2023

Inglewood Bird Sanctuary April 16, 2023

In the back of my mind I booked Sunday morning off to hang out at the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary.  Sunday is go there day for me because I prefer less traffic on the Indy 500 (Deerfoot) and construction at the Sanctuary is scaled back for the day.  It has been weeks since I was there and the sites I follow showed it is becoming a happening place.  I arrived shortly after sunrise to finally see all the trails clear of ice and snow.  Snow and ice still remained on the Lagoon and in the forest.   

wide open beauty

From the second I arrived to the second I departed, the birds and ducks, deer and ground squirrels were busy as bees.  The Sanctuary was filled with songs of all sorts with not a second of peace nor quiet.  That's what you want here!   Yes, it definitely was a happening place with all the flirting, mating, feasting and nest building.

The Wood Ducks are back and were a popular sight for all the birders.  I watched them for a while but not near as long as the time others invested in admiring them.  I wondered was I missing something!  The same birders plus more were in the same spot doing the same thing an hour later when I returned back to that area.  

The Bald Eagle was my first sighting of the morning as it perched on top of the biggest tree as you arrive at The Lagoon.  The Gulls were pestering it and it moved along to various tree tops to escape them.  

Time came to cross the bridge and I did so with caution.  The two Canada Geese were guarding an area close by.  From experience when a similar situation was presented where one Goose nipped at my sister's leg, I knew I was taking my chances with the crossing.  I put my hood up and my head down then motored across to the other side.  They stayed where they were but with their heads down and forward, they hissed as I passed.

There were lots of entertaining moments put on by the ducks .  That means it is spring!   

It was a very fulfilling few hours at The Sanctuary today.  The population will only increase and with that will come a greater variety.  What I am not feeling fulfilled with these days is the fact I am not having much success with spotting a bountiful beauty of crocuses.  It has been a couple of days since I hunted them so will head out again soon.  Sighting reports have been minimal, others asking where are those wildflowers?  I said stayed tuned a few weeks ago and I will say it again now, Stay Tuned!


2 comments:

  1. Oh, the joy of Spring's arrival.
    It seems a Bald Eagle has taken up residence somewhere on the golf course. I am enjoying watching him soar over the ponds, quite regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it chases golf balls! I also wonder if it has a mate! Last season, there was a baby boom of bald eagles here.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.