Thursday, April 6, 2023

Canadian Pacific Caboose at Aspen Crossing

The back balcony of my caboose faces east, this was the view when I opened the door around 7:00 am this morning. A sight that forecasts a beautiful day to come, and it certainly was.  The other two cabooses remained vacant last night as did a very high percentage of the camp sites. Not only was it a beautiful start to the day, it was peaceful and quiet, except for the sparrows, robins and nuthatches.

When I parked my car next to my caboose yesterday, the plan was to leave it there until I check out and head home.  I wanted to savour every second staying local.  Yet, I still wanted to be somewhat active so incorporated a six kilometre walk around the Aspen Crossing Property.  There was lots to see!  

This is where you board the trains during summer that take you on rides of a couple of hours. The rides offer a variety of entertainment and meals.  The season kicks off on Mother’s Day in mid May.


The train is hibernating for the winter!

This is the lagoon with a small beach and dock.  
Yes, even though it is spring, it is still winter-like.

old police car on display

wagon on display 

a flock of Snow Geese flying over

Employees were busy cleaning snow from the campsites, they did not get to this one yet.

I found a goat pen!

This photo was captured by zooming in as close as I could with my camera. With the naked eye, I was not sure what I was seeing as it moved along.  I was thankful for my long zoom, as it confirmed I was safe from a cute small black cat.

part of the kids play area is still snow bound

waiting for the spring arrivals to build a nest 

prairie land surrounds the property 

my Canadian Pacific Caboose

Northern Alberta Caboose

Union Pacific Caboose

There were other areas on the property that were not accessible due to snow, ice or mud.  I was content with what I did see and with putting some easy enjoyable kms on my boots.  It was now time to savour snacks, sips and sights at my caboose site!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Alexandra, I’m considering myself lucky that you left a kind comment on my blog which allowed me to find yours. Right now you are in the midst of an adventure I would love to … visit Aspen Crossing and stay in one of the Canadian Pacific Cabooses! I’m what some refer to as a “rail fan” … aka an enthusiast of rail travel. If you’ve looked at my recent blog posts you will know I love ships and enjoy snapping pics of them along the waterfront here in Seattle. But most folks don’t know I also love trains. Now, it appears you live in Canada, and I admire that too. I hope to see you again on John’s Island. Thank you again for your kind comment. I see that I have much enjoyment ahead by looking over your previous posts on Still Making Waves. Congrats on such a neat blog! Wishing you a fine weekend ahead! John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for stopping by and leaving your comment! After staying in the Caboose and learning lots about this location and the train cars here, I can see why becoming a "rail fan" would be a thing! Many, many, many moons ago I travelled by train from Montreal in Quebec to my home in Nova Scotia, it was a night time trip so slept most of the way. Then many moons ago I travelled on the Rocky Mountaineer Rail Tour from Calgary, Alberta to Vancouver, British Columbia and it was an incredible journey. I envy that you live in Seattle, there is something about being by any kind of water, especially the ocean that brings me comfort and peace.

      Delete
  2. It all looks wonderful to me but the winning moment is the flight of Snow Geese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few flocks of those Snow Geese flew over each day! I could hear them long before I could see them so it was easy to get ready to capture photos as they flew by.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.