Friday, October 27, 2023

Accumulating Kilometres up on Nose Hill October 27, 2023

My goal for 2023 is to cover 2023 kilometres (1257 miles) by way of mountain hiking, urban hiking, skating, kayaking, cross country skiing and snowshoeing. After being "out & about" today, I have covered 1741 kms (1082 miles) so far this year.  One never knows how user-friendly November and December will be weather-wise, so I am getting the distance in when I can this past little while.  

With a couple of hours to fill this morning, I added eight kms of Nose Hill urban hiking to my goal. The added layer of long underwear, heat wave gloves and a down jacket with a hood were a blessing when I stepped out of my car and began ascending in the wide open where there was a windchill of -21C (-5.8F). 
After another snowfall or two, this will be all white with no brown peeking out.  I am excited for that!  Until then, it is easier going along the trails where you just swish a tiny bit with no high knee lifting. 
I believe I may have come around a corner and was in the right place at the right time!  I startled the coyote who was approaching the deer which it was startling.  Once the coyote spotted me, which was just as I snapped this shot, it hightailed it out of there in a flash.  I stuck around for a few minutes to see if the coyote would return but it did not.  Shortly thereafter, the deer began to go about their morning routine.  
As I worked my way further up and long into another area, it seemed like a whole different world.  Every sprig of grass, every leaf, every branch, anything that could hold ice, held ice!  I have seen this many, many times and it always draws me in. 
With it being cold and damp enough to create ice on vegetation, I had a bit of collection to create frosty fringes.  Yes it is wintry out there and in weeks to come, just like the ground, all that brown (my hair) will be white. Stay tuned!

ice galore
enjoying what Mother Nature created while trying to be creative in capturing her display


Time came for a little ascending so I could begin descending back to where I started.  




8 comments:

  1. I’m glad I’m in my cosy home while I read your post. What stunning scenery and beautiful photos of the snow. I can see I’ll get my fix of wonderful snow through your blog. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thinking from now until April/May of next year, my Alberta photos will contain snow! I like the cozy feel when I come home from being "out & about" in the snow.

      Delete
  2. So pretty! Good thing for the deer you came along and scared that coyote away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh new snow gives such a pretty picturesque look! I ended up seeing another coyote but it was from quite a distance with no deer around.

      Delete
  3. Sure enjoyed all the photos in this post. As I was looking at the images, I could almost feel the cold. Great job of capturing the frosty scene. You said, “Every sprig of grass, every leaf, every branch, anything that could hold ice, held ice! I have seen this many, many times and it always draws me in.” I absolutely hear you on that. Perfect words to go with image #4. Thanks, as always, for sharing. Happy week ahead to you! John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing photos from areas in Oregon and Washington, it looks like you are still in the midst of enjoying a lovely autumn! Wishing you a wonderful week with pretty coastal views!

      Delete
  4. Wow, wow, wow! Your happiness metre must have been over the top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colder it gets and the more snow that falls, the needle on my happiness metre climbs higher!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.