Sunday, October 1, 2023

Inglewood Bird Sanctuary October 1, 2023

The look was gloomy dull and grey, which I prefer to call "atmospheric" because that word gives me a positive vibe, as I strolled down the trail towards the area of the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary where all the goings on would be going on.  That was my hope anyway!  Lots of leaves were down after yesterday's blast yet thankfully loads of autumn colours were still in existence.  

The goings on were not going on so instead of bird spotting, I strolled the trails getting my fill of fresh air air and exercise.  "Be patient, goings on WILL get going!" was what I told myself.  The clouds began to clear and the colours started to explode.  My eyes perked up!

Birds and ducks were doing their morning thing, no matter if it was atmospheric or sunny and bright, they will do what they were born to do. This duck stood out amongst the Wood Ducks and Mallards.  There was only one, it looked like a Grebe but it looked too little.  It was continuously diving into the water so it was a challenge to photograph.  Every now and then the sun shone on it and I could see its colouring better.  When I got home, I used my Bird ID App to make an identification.  It is a Little Grebe! If that is the case, this is a"lifer" for me.  This is what eBird said about it.

"Fairly common but often inconspicuous small diving bird of wetlands with bordering reeds and other vegetation. Often remains out of sight; less often out on open water (mainly in winter). Rather compact, with rounded head, puffy rear end. Seen mainly as singles and small loose flocks, often sleeping during the day. Breeding plumage often looks dark overall; in good light note dark rusty head and neck sides with yellow patch at base of bill. Nonbreeding plumage dingy pale brownish overall with dark cap."

By now there were various types of "goings on" going on!  
The one I began paying more attention to was the display of gorgeous autumn hues.  

Off each needle on the trees, hung a droplet of water.  Look closely, a whole wonderful wee world can be seen within each.  What my camera lens picked up in the droplets, I could not see clearly with my naked eye.  

It was turning into a most beautiful morning here at The Sanctuary.  

most every trail I walked offered up a canopy of colour
If there was not a canopy, there was a reflection or a beam of sunshine.  I don't usually care for big messy sun flare bursts but this one appealed to me with its many colours shooting out.  It was "goings on" like this that were capturing my attention more so than the birds and ducks.  
incredible colours and reflections
a usual suspect the Great Blue Heron
view along one of the trails
tree alongside a trail

A few hours passed by now and I was ready to call it a day.  
As I took one last look into the Lagoon, I spotted this mink.  

I watched it for awhile.

As I exited the gate a small rabbit species darted across the trail in front of me.  It was too quick and this was all I captured when I snapped a shot.  Now it was really time for me to hop on out of here and head on home! 






4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place with a lot of things to see and many corners to explore!
    In December, on occasion of 2 running races, I will go with my son's family to a similar place (not mountain of corse): the lagoon of Orbetello in Tuscany where we can visit the natural reserve of La Feniglia and doing birdwatching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just googled that nature reserve area and it looks absolutely gorgeous! It looks like a wonderful place to visit and no doubt the species of birds are much different than what I see here.

      Delete
  2. An absolutely marvellous way to start the day! Just love those autumn-toned reflections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now I am thinking autumn is my favourite time of year with those colours and reflections! In a couple of months another season may be my favourite!!!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.