Monday, October 9, 2023

Being Thankful I Can Chase Colours

On this long Thanksgiving Weekend, I am thankful I have the freedom to be "out & about" when I want and where I want knowing I have no worries.  This is something I wish for everyone in our world!  Where I wander, we are in the midst of warm weather with beautiful autumn hues, which are more things to be thankful for at this time of year.  

🍁🍂🍁🍂🍁

Ann & Sandy Cross Conservation

It's been two years since I hiked at Ann & Sandy Cross Conservation south west of Calgary close to the foothills.  I have never been there at this time of year, yet I was quite certain I would find what I was looking for.  I drove there while the sun was rising and was ready to start hiking shortly after it was up.  Everything was incredible on this visit, from the views to the colours, from the sky to the temperature.


the sound of swishing is so satisfying

look up, way up 

Two years does not seem that long ago, but it was long enough that this hike seemed new to me in places.  Or, maybe, it's just the fact that this was my first time here in October.  I think this visit was my favourite!
in the middle of a foothills meadow with the mountains lining the horizon
It's being able to capture shots like this that I am thankful for having such a great zoom on my camera.  Over the past little while, lots of new snow fell making the high mountain peaks glow from that white gold!  
this is called snapping the shot at precisely the perfect fraction of the second
wandering along the rolling hills that are alive with the sound of leaves being swished
the trails on this private land are groomed
By now the temperature was in the mid 20's celsius and I felt it.  Shorts would have been the wiser choice.
Shortly after passing through this gate, I completed one great big loop.  Then came a short stretch to cover before arriving back at my vehicle.  I sure got my fill of Mother Nature's beauty today and now I was ready to get my fill of turkey!  Happy Thanksgiving!    


🍁🍂🍁🍂🍁

 Bottomlands & Back

A little loopy was the way to go on this day!  The plan was to incorporate Bottomlands Park, St Patrick's Island where I would bypass the Zoo, Fort Calgary, Pearce Estates Park then around back to Bottomlands making up a thirteen kilometre route where there would be colourful sights for the entire stretch.

What has been catching my eye lately other than the colours, are the ways the sun shines through the trees.    It took numerous tries stepping an inch or so to either side until I caught the sun at the perfect angle.  Not all of these photos are in order of the route I followed. They are how they loaded and I was too lazy to place them where they should be.
See the sky above the bridge?
That caught my eye!
Just wait!
a vibrant cheerful colourful splash of autumn

The clouds were becoming more distinct and making waves of a sort in the sky! 
These three are in order!

Then they did this! I was so mesmerized by the clouds!
Then I remembered why I was out here and that was to take in all the gorgeous shades of autumn.
With still a couple of kilometres left to go, I was already feeling fulfilled! 

🍁🍂🍁🍂🍁

Chasing Colours at Carburn

Normally when I hike around Carburn Park, it is to chase birds but on this day it was to chase colours.  Enough leaves had fallen that it gave me my first opportunity to swish along through them in a child-like manner.  
a double sun burst : the real thing and its reflection 
one of the trails I followed along

another trail with gorgeous colours : it felt like I was wandering into a painting

Can a reflection be more perfect than this?

a golden glow beaming through the trees creating glorious shadows
the trail alongside where that golden glow was coming from
Along some sections it felt like I was being hugged by the warm shades!

It is hard not to ignore what is happening in our world!  If only for a few hours each day, I got to escape to places of beauty, peace, tranquility and where my world is gentle.  Once again, I am reminded to not take this for granted.  I have much to give thanks for on this Thanksgiving weekend!   




2 comments:

  1. So much beauty in your corner of the world plus tranquility and space. Those autumn colours are stunning. We are nowhere near you with the colours yet. Wonderful photos. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours seem to be a bit ahead this year which they say is due to the hot dry smokey summer we had. I look forward to seeing what you will have to share when your autumn shades hit their peak.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.