Sunday, October 8, 2023

Nakasendo Trail Virtual Challenge COMPLETE October 8, 2023

The original finish date for this virtual challenge was set at September 26, I set that day on July 18, the day I started the Nakasendo Trail.  I was not able to keep up with the pace and fell behind.  During the days when the heat and smoke were at their worst and I was not "out & about" in it, I realized I may not be able to meet the deadline.  I changed the finish date goal to October 10.  I had a bit of pressure to get there but it was a more realistic doable date and I knew I could do it. I did it!  


with two days to spare
I put red stars to highlight the start and finish, with the blue line in between being the route.
This shows where the virtual finish line was, in the centre of Tokyo.  
In reality, this was my view today as I was motoring along to complete this virtual challenge.  

In total I received 20 postcards.  This was the final card that popped in just as I crossed the finish line.

"The Nakasendo terminates in Tokyo at Nihonbashi Bridge, “Bridge of Japan” and the heart of Edo where all Japanese roads began. When Tokugawa Ieyasu ordered the construction of the bridge, his intent was to make it the central point from which all distances were measured throughout the country. It essentially made the bridge ‘the nation’s cartological zero point’.

The wooden bridge was replaced in 1911 by a beautiful twin-arched stone bridge with candelabras, four lions at the corners and a kirin statue in the centre. During the 1960s, Japan built a massive expressway directly over Nihonbashi, hugely overshadowing this once highly significant and historical bridge. The views are now long gone but before the expressway, on a clear day, Mt Fuji could be seen from the bridge."

My metal will be in the mail this week.


The Nakasendo Trail was the 14th Virtual Challenge I completed.  At this point, there are no other challenges that appeal to me so I will not be signing up for another one.  I will monitor the website for the new virtual challenges that are presented and if one jumps out at me then I will jump on board.  



6 comments:

  1. Congrats on completing the Nakaesndo Trail. At 552km you’ve almost walked I-90 from Seattle to half way through Idaho in 82 days. That’s about 6.7km/day … very nice work. You may recall my mentioning in an earlier comment that I’ve also done a few of the ConQueRor challenges. I am curious … are you getting the medals as you complete the challenges? I did for about a half dozen challenges then started wondering how and where to display all the medals. 😊 Right now I’m sort of where you are … not seeing any real interesting hikes. I haven’t done Nakaesndo so maybe it will be next. Neat post … thanks for sharing. John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. When you put the distance in perspective like that, it sounds much further than 552 kms. I have received medals for each of the challenges I completed. They hang on a wire grid that is attached to the wall above my desk. At some point down the road, I would like to donate them, maybe they could be used in some way in a geography or history class. I also have running medals from years ago and they hang on a coat rack tree.

      Delete
  2. PS I think you are in Canada ... Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another fine effort, Alexandra. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.