Sunday, October 29, 2023

Sugar Mama : Bobcat : Fullerton Hike October 29, 2023

In a week I will get my All Seasons changed over to my Winter tires, until then I have not been venturing far.  The All Seasons were purchased this past spring so I felt confident enough with them that a drive to the Elbow Valley area of Kananaskis Country should be fine.  The road was bare and dry until with a couple of kilometres left to go to the trail head, the winding, hilly Route 66 was mostly ice.  It was early enough there was no traffic, yet early enough the sun did not have a chance to melt the ice.  I motored slowly and surely enough made it safely to the parking lot.  Whew!  My first winter driving conditions experience outside of the city is always a white knuckle drive.

From this parking lot, there are numerous routes to follow, I picked a route that would make a big loop including Elbow River,  Sugar Mama, Bobcat, Fullerton, Elbow River. It was a very nippy start so donned all my layers along with strapping on my spikes.  This was the view as I followed along the Elbow River trail.  Many people must have hiked here yesterday as the trail was well packed.  Only a runner was ahead of me this morning. 
The runner headed towards Snagmore while I took the turn off to hike along Sugar Mama.  The trail was as I hoped it would be with lots of snow on the ground and on the trees.  I could feel my nose was no doubt red and my cheeks felt pink, there was a slight build up of frost on my hair and I could not stop smiling wide!    
crossing a bridge over a frozen snow covered creek
continuing to ascend along Sugar Mama
The higher I went, the more sweet sugar there was.  
I also began to see the mountains through the trees. 
This squirrel was curious!  It ran back and forth along a little narrow trail it created in the snow.  It came close to me, stood up then scurried back, only to do that a few times.  I watched for a little while, it was so cute with the snow flakes on its head.  
Then, even more snow as I carried on ascending along Sugar Mama.  
The trail name was quite fitting today, as the snow was so sugar-like.  
Of course, my inner child voice told me to stop and play!  I listened and I did as I was told!  I had my hiker tripod with me so that made it possible to capture my play time in my mountain playground. 
When I arrived at the intersection two people with four dogs caught up to me.  They took the turn to Strange Brew and I veered off in the opposite direction to hit Bobcat.  Bobcat was just as beautiful as what I saw so far.  By now I was noticing more icicles. 
It became a really slow go along Bobcat, so many little things were capturing my attention.  I liked the look of how this large snow covered tree framed the right side of the tree in the middle.  It was my intention to capture that look in a photo, it was when I got home and downloaded my photos that I saw I also got the "glory" and a "bubble"!  That's what I'm calling the sun glare effects the camera picked up.
There is a section along Bobcat that has a long log with a big flat rock on it.  This would be a perfect spot to sit awhile and savour my lunch and the scenery.  Before doing so, I captured this location shot.  

Along with a boiled egg, peanut butter sandwich and two home-made health cookies, I had a thermos of Maple Chai Tea (purchased in Victoria, BC in September) spiked with two teaspoons of Rolo Hot Chocolate powder.  It's that time of year when a hot beverage does the trick!  

Time came to finish the Bobcat part of the planned route and hook up with Fullerton.  This is the view from a high point along Fullerton. You can see the mountain range off in the distance and a load of clear cutting in the middle. 
I did not get behind my camera to snap this shot, I just put my camera under and behind the icicles and snapped, hoping to catch something. This was a nice surprise to see when I got home, I like this look!  
Getting up close and personal with ice tiny formations offers up the wondrous workings of Mother Nature!  I think bejewelled, bedazzled when I look at this!  
Nearing the end of Fullerton, there was one more bridge to cross before being back on the Elbow River Trail. From here it was just a klick back to the parking lot.  That klick took awhile as I continued to admire the beauty.  By now, it had warmed up a bit and I knew the first couple of kilometres of driving would be better than the experience of a few hours ago, and it was a smooth sail home!




7 comments:

  1. Hello Alexandra, Thanks for taking us along on your hike around Elbow Valley. As always, lots of neat photos! When you post about a hike like this, I like to open up Google Maps and see if I can get an overview. I found Elbow Valley easily enough, but not so lucky with the trails like Sugar Mama. Can you recommend a trails map that covers Alberta? Clicking on your images is amazing … the resolution is great and looking at the large image on my desktop screen makes me feel like I’m there. Great! Love the little video … indeed a hot drink looks perfect! 😊 It just amazes me that you can find these views not that far from Calgary. Thanks, as always, for sharing. Wishing you a happy week ahead! John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This site gives an idea of where the provincial parks are. It does not include the National Parks. Not all trails are listed, but lots are. I check this for official warnings/conditions/closures. https://www.albertaparks.ca/albertaparksca/advisories-public-safety/trail-reports/
      I check alltrails to see photos of conditions and read reports, but I do not follow the routes people post. I have many paper maps and guide books that I use.

      I also like to google places that bloggers blog about to get a lay of the land.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the website. I checked it out and it's really neat. It is interesting how many trails you have just west of Calgary ... I guess that could be called the "foothills" of the Rockies. Great for opportunities to hike and blog about.

      Delete
  2. Happy Halloween.
    I like the silence in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BOO! Happy Halloween to you too! It always surprises me how the silent sound of snow drowns out all other noise!

      Delete
  3. Blue sky and fresh snow of the season is just totally magical. PEI has had their first fall and it looks amazing but thankfully for them it won't last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the snow in the city has melted, unfortunately! The only reason I am thankful it did is that we are now no longer in a draught and there are no longer water use restrictions in place.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.