Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Haskayne Legacy Park October 3, 2023

The reasons for visiting the newly opened Haskayne Legacy Park today were twofold, I wanted to see what this park was all about and I had hopes I would get to savour more autumn shades.  The grand opening was finally held on September 16th.  Why I say "finally" is construction began in 2018, it was completed in 2021, but issues came into play with acquiring public access and road allowances.  The Park is just a short drive west of the city and sits on 126 hectares of land.  I had to pay attention to the road access (paved & dirt) to get there as the road is newly built and does not yet show up on google directions.

After leaving the parking lot, I walked towards the main park area where the facilities are.  It was a gorgeous morning and I could already see those autumn hues.  


sitting area with a gas fireplace

There were two harvest picnic tables off the paved walkway.  
Each table probably holds about twelve to sixteen people.

There was an even larger harvest table under the sun shelter.  
Many sitting blocks were scattered here and there with rope handles to move about.

view into the covered sitting area

looking out from the covered sitting area

The Pavilion remains closed until 2024. 
It will be available for bookings such as events, weddings and educational programs.

grey building is the washroom facilities just east of the Pavilion

After checking out all the facilities, it was time to head down the pathway to walk for a few kilometres.  The path is paved and flat.  There is a train track crossing and on the other side is where the pathway carries on west.  

along the pathway

view of the Bow River and Bearspaw Reservoir from along the path
There are signs to remain on the path.  The route heads west through "foothills rough fescue grassland". Only 16% of this fescue grassland that has been untilled and in its original state remains in Alberta.  Less than that is in healthy condition. 
 This is where Haskayne Legacy Parks meets Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park. 
This is all a part of the Trans Canada Trail.
The autumn shades were gorgeous!  My turn around point for today is that sun shelter in the middle right in the photo. That is the most eastern shelter in Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park.  It was also a good spot to sit and savour the scenery and some snacks.
view of the grasslands and Bow River looking west 
There were a few spots where you could get closer to the river.   
some had benches to sit on

a beautiful view from the pathway

I crossed back over the tracks and followed the path back to the Pavilion.

Before heading home, I enjoyed a little time sitting at one of the big harvest tables to finish off my snacks.  This was the view in front of me.  There is another dirt trail to the north of the facilities but I did not hike along it.  I know I will be back to this beautiful place and I will walk that trail then.  





10 comments:

  1. You have so many fabulous park areas in your neighbourhood. I love the idea of the seating with a gas fire. I guess it gets pretty chilly at times. Love the long shadows. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I am next out there, I will look into getting the fire going, not sure if just anyone can turn it on.

      Delete
  2. Wow, wow, wow! Manmade and nature. Such a perfect morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The manmade pavilion is net-zero, along with the other structures, are environmentally friendly so pair nicely with nature.

      Delete
  3. Long time coming, but a very beautiful park! Love the nice, open views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first regional park to open here in ten years! With it being so open, it could be a wild place to be in the middle of winter!

      Delete
  4. Alexandra, I think I may have said something like this in an earlier comment, but I will say it again: The way you design your posts by visiting a special place, like a park, snapping photos of scenes that are interesting, and then sharing, together with your thoughts, is just perfection, at least the way I see it. Honestly, after viewing your post, I can say Haskayne Legacy Park is going on my list of places I want to see in person. I’m thinking this could be part of a great road trip into Alberta next summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for your kind comment! When I know I will be creating a blog post, it makes me pay more attention to everything I see and how I capture it. This is only one of many beautiful parks in this area.

      Delete
  5. The fall colors are the best. I love this season (maybe why I was born in October?)
    Another very beautiful park. There are a lot of natural places to visit in your neighborhood.
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The love for autumn is born and bread within you, being an October baby! Enjoy your week!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.