Monday, March 25, 2024

in the face of a wintry spring kick-off

This "wave of winter" created many waves over the past number of days!  The new snow was so brilliantly bright!  It beckoned me to wander through each wave!  On a beautiful spring day like this day, I have never wandered through so much snow at the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary.  It was easily swishable and being the first one there, I swished lots!  You can see my faint trail to the left of the sign.  

in the face of a wintry spring kick-off this deer sports flakes of snow on its nose
in the face of a wintry spring kick-off this Black Capped Chickadee sports flakes of snow on its beak
in the face of a wintry spring kick-off this buck pokes its nose into the snow looking for treats

✏✏✏✏✏

Staying at home on this day, I planned for my new macrame cord to make its arrival.  Immediately, I knew this would be a better product to make knots with. The colour is called avocado green, it is 3 strand twisted natural cotton.  I was excited to get back to leaf making.  I like the outcome of this leaf but there is still work to be done.  For some reason, just like the first one I made, the right side is not as tidy as the left.  I could see that it was shaping up that way as I went along. I tried to fix it the best I could.  
These three photos show some of the steps along the way.  After all the knotting is done, the tape is removed and so is the clip.  It is turned up right and the ends are pulled to tighten the knots.  Then the loose ends are cut off and I used tacky glue to seal the deal.  
I know the leaf can look better.  
I need to smooth out the rough looking side somehow.  
Another leaf is in the making!  

✏✏✏✏✏

I waited a little longer before heading out the door to Confluence Park on this morning.  Local neighbourhood traffic was a nightmare and I was more into dreamy rather than nightmarish!  The new snow was pillowy soft.  On some of the trails, others had been which meant I did not have to break trail and in other areas, I swished along.  In these conditions, its easy to tell where the wildlife went!
others broke trail here
trying to blend in with the snow covered trees while 
wearing my hat with the snow covered trees

✏✏✏✏✏

This brings us to this morning, March 25th the day of the full Worm Moon also known as the Strong Wind Moon.  I woke very early this morning when my iPhone dinged to let me know the aurora borealis may be visible in my area if the sky is clear.  I looked out, saw some stars, went back to bed, tossed and turned, got up, looked out and saw the full moon.  I bundled up, grabbled my camera and went out on my deck to admire it. I took 44 photos, this was my favourite.  I did not need full zoom and did not need to make edits.  
Yes, it was just before 4:00am when I first woke.  I checked the forecast after looking outside the first time.  The weather was living up to the reason why another name for this full moon is the Strong Wind Moon!  I was over the moon to be able to capture this photo of the full moon! Another thing I noticed was  the fog notice.  That meant it could be a gorgeous morning to be out and about! 

SO, out & about I went up to Nose Hill!  That strong wind caused drifting of all that snow.  At times I was breaking trail through snow that was a foot deep.  It was not soft pillowy snow, it was hard and crusty.  The sun was trying its best to burst through the clouds.
the wind whipped snow 
what can happen when fog is in the forecast 
tiny delicate decorations
in my happy place both heart and soul
these covered the ice for as far as the eye could see 
By now my calves and thighs were yelling at me and my eyes were bursting from all the beauty there was to behold. It was time to descend the hills and aim for home.  I followed that drifted over animal track that lead me to a trail down through the forest.   

If another winter wave hits, I will be outside in it!  If not, I will be outside anyway!  



6 comments:

  1. You had much more snow than Red Deer. And guess what? I didn't go out in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am due for another inside day! We are due for another wave of winter on Thursday!

      Delete
  2. Alexandra, I love that I can feel your joy of the magic of your winter days, through your photography, but especially through your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the words come easier and for this post they flowed out with no thinking! I always hopes what I share can evoke positive feelings for others!

      Delete
  3. I love trudging through the snow... I would have liked to go with you.
    Your macrame leaves are very beautiful.
    Spring is coming here... we go from 8 degrees plus on the weekend to an incredible 20 degrees. I wish you a happy Easter.
    And... if I could, I would also like to run through the snow with you. Hug
    Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring is trying to spring here, we have more snow over the next couple of days so it could mean more trudging through snow. Enjoy your beautiful weather forecast. Happy Easter to you!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.