Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Lake Louise March 6, 2024



When I saw on the webcam they were just about done sweeping the skating surface on Lake Louise, I packed up and bundled up then was there in a matter on minutes.  It was a very cold start to the day with a bitter windchill but not bitter enough to deter me.  The sun was already high enough to create long shadows yet there was no warmth so the crunch beneath my feet was loud as I wandered up the trail towards the lake.


view from the little bridge
the photo is not blurry
the air was frosty 

Once the surface was swept, she began plowing away the snow between the benches and the ice. I waited a few minutes before going to a bench and lacing up.  I was thankful to not have to climb over a snow bank in my skates to get to the ice.

The ice was in rough shape!  The weather this winter really took a toll on it.  Slowly but surely I found a good route around where I felt confident I could stay upright and feel the joy.  

I put my camera on the ice and set the timer for this selfie in front of Fairview Mountain.

a snowman watches over the skaters 

Off and on, skaters came and went and now it was time for me to get off the ice and get on with the day. I made a quick visit back to my home away from home to change my sporting attire and savour some energy snacks. Next on the agenda was a cross country ski trek along the Great Divide Trail.  I skied a portion of it, I was not up for skiing back up the big hill so I did not ski down it.

at the trail sign

the groomed track starts here

easily got into the rhythm and enjoyed the view 

One of my favourite things about skiing this route is that 
the dog sledding track is right beside the ski track.

When the coast was clear of all skiers, I placed my camera on the track and turned the video on.  Then just like that a dog sled team raced by, the musher thought I dropped my camera. I could not have timed it more perfectly if I tried to have them go by at the same time I was recording. 

On the way back, I took a detour off along the Peyto groomed track.

Off and on, cross country skiers came and went.  It was now time for me to get off the track and get on with the day. What was next on the agenda was retreating to my home away from home where I could be comfy and cozy.



8 comments:

  1. It's happy to relax yourself in a warm room. We had a little snow this morning here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My room was so nice with two big picture windows that had mountain views. I hope you enjoyed the snow you received.

      Delete
  2. Good on you forgetting out in the frigid weather we've had. we do get acclimatized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As of this morning (Sunday) it looks like it will be time to acclimatize again to warmer weather.

      Delete
  3. Oh how beautiful! I'd love to go there in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Awww! It makes me appreciate having these experiences even more when friends say they are "in awe and envy"!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.