Tuesday, March 12, 2024

wrap a ribbon around my skates


Well, that's a wrap!  Since returning from Lake Louise on Saturday, I have been watching the weather wondering would I get to skate locally again this season.  While the skating site says the lagoon and trail are still open, my interest has wained when I see the plus double digit temperatures with sunshine. 

Today, I hung up my skates for this season!    

A few days ago, my medal for completing the Banff Virtual Challenge arrived. Most of the kilometres for this challenge were gained by skating.  I thought it appropriate to display the medal with its ribbon wrapped around my skates.  

It was a tough season for the ice keepers to keep the ice nice when most of this winter felt like spring.  The season was late starting and once it did, there were numerous times throughout the season when it was too warm and just not worth the drive to the ice.  Those that maintain the ice at Lake Louise were presented with what appeared like the most challenging season ever to keep the ice nice.  

When the days were ideal for skating, I went for it.  My hope was to skate more kilometres than I did last season and I was able to accomplish that.  This season I covered 218.5 kms compared to 209.8 kms last winter. 

I put together this collage of a few of my favourite experiences and photos.

While skating at the Lake Louise Community Centre Rink last week, the hockey player and I talked about the benefits of skating.  He was recovering from a knee injury and was working his way back to get back into the game.  I did a quick check to find out what those in the know say the benefits of skating are.  This was what I found!
          • ⛸ burns calories
          • ⛸ works the legs and arms
          • ⛸ easy on the joints
          • ⛸ improves balance, agility and coordination
          • ⛸ cardiovascular health
          • ⛸ improves endurance
          • ⛸ improves mental health

Last Saturday, I stopped by Lake Louise to have one last visit before hitting the highway home.  It had snowed lightly overnight.  It was mid morning and the sweeper had not yet swept the ice.  No one was skating.  The entire surface was a beautiful blank canvas. I left my mark!  

I  ♡ ⛸ !




4 comments:

  1. Hi Alexandra, Another excellent post here. The skating collage is just excellent. Love the mark you left on the snow. Congrats on completing the Banff Virtual Challenge and displaying your medal around your skates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You John! It's time to look through all the available challenges and pick another one to tackle!

      Delete
  2. Sad the season has ended, but fabulous skating memories!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.