Monday, March 11, 2024

over the Worm Moon

The full moon for March is called the Worm Moon, it will be full on March 25th.  It was given this name because earthworms would appear as the soil warms in spring.  It's the time of year also when beetle larvae emerges from the thawing bark of trees.

Another name given this moon, by the Pueblo people, is the Strong Wind Moon.  They gave it this name because of the strong windy days that come at this time of year.  I can relate more to that name so that is the name I am going with.  The only thing I know about worms is that when I was a kid, I collected them in a jar.  With the jar full of worms, my fishing rod plus tackle box, I headed to the local frog pond to fish! 

This full moon is also the Paschal Moon.  The Paschal Moon is the first full moon of spring that appears after the spring equinox which is March 19th.  This moon determines when Easter will be. 

The Strong Wind Moon will be full the morning of March 25th at 1:00 am Mountain Time.  The best time to view it will be on Sunday or Monday the 24th and 25th when it rises just after sunset.  It will look especially large when it is near the horizon due to Moon Illusion.  Your brain compares the moon to comparative objects such as trees, chimneys, buildings and it looks bigger when it is on the horizon near these objects.   

This is my watercolour painting of the Strong Wind Moon.  This painting will represent March in my 2025 calendar.  I added a worm shape in the moon. I did what I could to make the scene look like it was a windy night.  The trees are leaning, there is a bit of ripple in the water, the snow is drifted over the rocks and I made the sky look directional as if the clouds were being blown.  When I look at this painting, I feel and hear the wind!  

These were my reference photos for the Strong Wind Moon painting.  There were many photos to choose from that I took while visiting Waterton Lakes National Park during the month of March over the past few years.  Waterton can be windy during any month but it's the winds of March that create a wildly, wonderful scene.

I hope to be "out & about" witnessing the Strong Wind Moon! 
If I am able to do so, I will be over the moon!



6 comments:

  1. Well, it turns out that there's load of stuff I don't know about moons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am finding out that too, each time I read about the next month's full moon, I learn something new!

      Delete
  2. I love it! Will think of you as we watch the moon rise over the golf course. That is, of cocurse, if we finally have a cloud free moonrise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You home is in such a perfect location to witness all that the sky has to offer up!

      Delete
  3. As a nearly life-long amateur astronomer, 😊, I like to think I’m pretty well versed on moon phenomena. However, I learned something new here … the brain creates the sense of a larger moon by comparing it to items on the horizon. Thanks for that. Pretty fascinating what our brains can do. John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As time passes more and more of what's high up in the sky captures my attention!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.