Wednesday, July 24, 2024

4 short stories

SHORT STORY #1  Another medal is on the way! I crossed the finish line of  the Camino de Santiago Virtual Challenge on Monday by covering just over eleven kilometres during an early morning walk at Carburn Park.  I was so close to the end, I just wanted to get it done.  With a forecast coming of the hottest day yet paired with a high level of wildfire smoke, I figured it best to get out on the best of the worst days.  Early on I thought this would be an interesting adventure to tackle in real life.  But, as the kilometres passed, I thought otherwise.  Conquering this route virtually worked best for me.  I have not signed up for another challenge. I received a coupon for a discount if I go for another one,  yet, there is a challenge with Pacer that looks appealing. Decisions!  Decisions! 



SHORT STORY #2  Oh what a gift I received on Wednesday morning!  I went to the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary and ended up in the right spot at the right time.  As I was approaching the area where two Eastern Kingbirds have been hanging out the past couple of weeks, I heard them being very vocal.  I arrived at the location and looked up to see them in the tree, squawking continuously. Then, something fell to the ground.  I thought it to be a large leaf or a piece of branch.  I walked over to where it landed and this is what I saw!  This is a baby Eastern Kingbird, well actually it is now no longer a baby because what I just witnessed was it leaving the nest so it is now called a Fledgling! It could not fully fly, just flap its wings.  It was covered in drops of sap from the leaves on the trees that were infested with aphids. While I have seen babies in nests and Fledglings on the ground, this was the first time I ever saw a Baby actually become a Fledgling!  I have been wanting to see that happen.  Oh what a gift I received today!


SHORT STORY #3  The notebook arrived!  In my July 19th post, I shared with you about the notebook I was having made. I put it to use already, drafting a fjord to paint.  Once I was happy with the draft, I then drew it in my good sketch book.  I used online photos to get an idea of what a fjord in Norway actually looks like seeing as I have never seen one live.  Dreams begin somewhere!  Mine starts with a watercolour painting of a Norwegian Fjord!


SHORT STORY #4  My heart aches for Jasper National Park!  My thoughts and prayers go out to the roughly 25,000 people (residents and tourists) who had to evacuate, not only from  the townsite but from the entire National Park, at three in the morning yesterday when wildfires came within twelve kilometres of the townsite.  There was only one supposedly safe road out and that was to the west into British Columbia that is dealing with their own wildfires. It was then decided evacuees need to loop around and come back to Alberta.  Backcountry hikers/campers have been helicoptered out.  The entire Jasper National Park is closed until the earliest August 6th.  Evacuees are arriving at an evacuee centre in Calgary.  I browsed through my Jasper photos. These photos are from the past four years.  Jasper National Park holds a special place in my heart, even more-so now!



12 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Your sketches are wonderful. Love the baby Kingbird. The wildfires are scary, prayers for all those in the area. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked on the Kingbird yesterday, it is still on the ground but a few feet from where it was in the above photo. Have a good weekend!

      Delete
  2. Very, very sad about Jasper…just read the fire has now reached the townsite 😢. ❤️ Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recent photos of Jasper are heartbreaking!

      Delete
  3. uNBELIEVABLE WHAT'S GOING ON AT jASPER. tHINGS ARE SO DRY THEY BURN UP, LIKE GAS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alexandra, Another wonderful post. I enjoyed all 4 stories. Actually, story #4 is why I’m here this morning. Yesterday, on the evening news, there was a report about the wildfires in Alberta. It sounded very serious. I thought about you. Very best wishes to you, take good care, be safe. John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fire that swept through Jasper left devastation! I get emotional when I think about it, that National Park is such a beautiful place.

      Delete
  5. I love today's format. Joy and heartbreak. Unimaginable devastation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I planned for the short stories to be less words than they were. I wonder if when you visited your son when he was in Banff, did you ever go up the Icefield Parkway to Jasper? You may have told me but I cannot remember.

      Delete
  6. We went as far as the Icefields in 2016. In 1996, when the boys were 10 and 8, we stayed in Lodge just outside Jasper, by a lake. Special memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so upset to hear about Jasper too. I remember visiting back in 2000 with my three young sons in a campervan. Such a beautiful place. B x

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.