Friday, July 12, 2024

It's not always all about the babies.....

 .....or is it!  It is, when it is their season and this season the babies seem to keep on keeping on!  I go with intentions of celebrating all birds, but those babies have a way with me, I am hooked on celebrating their season and I cannot deny that!  

Being "out & about" on three occasions recently for birding, I covered just shy of 30 kms which brought me across the finish line of the Amsterdam Pacer Virtual Challenge and to 75 kms remaining on the Camino de Santiago Conqueror Virtual Challenge.  The push is on now to finish that one.  

🌞ON this outing, with the city being under an extreme heat warning, I kept my activity level low, spent as much time in the trees as possible, even still, how I felt is described to a "T" by the look of this young Cedar Waxwing!   I'm not sure what is going on with it, but maybe the heat got to it too!

the young Yellow Warblers are thriving


I heard calling back and forth coming from within the thickest of the trees, I knew it was a bird of prey but not sure which species.  I followed the call and came upon this Cooper's Hawk part way up a tree.  It watched me intently and the calls became more urgent.  I looked around to see where the other call was coming from and saw this......
.....baby Cooper's Hawk on the ground below!  
I got out of there quickly after securing a photograph! 

a baby Barrow's Goldeneye



🌞THE sun shone brightly and the heat hit hard on my second of these three outings.  I have been paying more attention to capturing shots of the birds with a background of something other than a plain blue sky.  At times when it was a backdrop of pure blue, I passed on by.  I like this kind of background!  The dad House Finch has three babies to keep happy!   

When my hair gets hot and sweaty, it clumps together.  
I wonder if that is what is going on with the head feathers on this Lincoln's Sparrow?


I watched this Common Grackle primp its feathers! 
Maybe it felt it has too many so pulled one out!
In fact, it pulled a few out!

Yes those babies keep coming!  These are two European Starlings waiting for a snack!  While watching them, they moved about and I could see a third Starling in behind trying to stick its head out.  



🌞FOR the third outing, there was no improvement, the extreme heat warning remained in place.  Even with this weather, I cannot remain in place, I need to go, but like I said before, I keep the go low key. Yes, the more you tilt your head the cuter you become.  This male House Finch, I believe is new this season.  


The yellow on this young Yellow Warbler is more defined! 
Oh they grow so quickly! 


an Eastern Kingbird

snack time for this House Sparrow

male Downy Woodpecker

Duck!  Here she comes!  I went to the location where the Juvenile Bald Eagle perches but she was no where in sight.  Then just like that out of the blue, she swoops in.  I was camera ready but I was startled, this was the best I could do.  

Once she settled and I settled, I zoomed in as far as I could to get this great shot of her baby face.

Am I hopeless in my celebrations of all these babies?  


14 comments:

  1. At least you're out there in the action. too many people stay home unless it's really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to be a part of the action no matter what the weather, that is unless it is dangerous to be out in it!

      Delete
  2. Wow, great bird sightings! Awesome collection of baby birds. I would celebrate all the baby bird sightings and photos, well done. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would be a celebrator too! Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  3. Your baby bird photos are really neat. You must be really persistent to find such a great variety.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this season I have been very persistent and also I am doing better at being patient!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful sightings on a hot day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy there is still lots of birds to see even when it is hot!

      Delete
  5. Hello. Great serie of baby birds. Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! From some activity I saw yesterday, there are still more babies on the way.

      Delete
  6. Definitely worth celebrating! Your dedication to capturing these precious moments is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much joy in this kind of dedication!

      Delete
  7. What a bunch of cuties…. love the house finch!!! ❤️ Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a painting of the House Finch! They are all so cute when they are fluffy!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.