Sunday, July 21, 2024

Nose Hill for the Full Buck Moon

When I looked out my window a couple of hours past midnight to see if I could see the Full Buck Moon, it teased me a tiny bit through the trees. My hope was that it would be high up above the trees so I could get a good clear photo.  No luck, I went back to bed, sleep evaded me by now.  It was hot! I was restless! An hour later, I got up, made a cup of coffee, geared up and off I drove to Nose Hill.  

I arrived around 4:00am.  I used my headlamp to find the way up along the trail.  I did not go far before I set up my tripod & camera and began snapping shots.  This photo was taken shortly before 4:30am.  The sky was pitch black and I could only see faint outlines of bushes, trees, boulders and the trail. While I was photographing the Buck Moon, I heard three very loud hisses that were very close by.  It was a sound I never heard before but what came immediately after the hisses was something I was very familiar with, the smell of a skunk!  I grabbed my tripod & camera and was gone like lightning!  The further away I got, the less I could smell it which meant the spray did not reach me.  Whew!  
I ascended the trail to where I felt I was far enough away from where the skunk was.  Once again I set up my tripod and camera.  I watched the moon dip and then captured this photo.  I heard a rustle along the dirt trail and then saw movement. Through the darkness, I saw what was the size and shape of a coyote.  I stomped my feet in the dirt and I saw the shape quickly take off.  Whew!  


I was happy being able to witness the Full Buck Moon and also with the photographs I took.  Since I was up here, I thought I may as well stay for the sunrise.  In the darkness of the very early morning, I followed the trail to another high point where it was best to watch the sun come up.  On the way there in the dull dark, I saw a shape cross the trail in front of me.  The shape, size and the way it moved told me it was a porcupine.  I backed off for a few minutes while it worked its way through the bushes and then I carried on with hopes it would not shoot out its quills at me. I made it!  Whew!   

At 5:47 am the sun began to rise above the horizon.  I expected it would be bright pink due to the wildfire smoke that drifted into the city yesterday.  

the sun well above the horizon

Since I was here, I figured I may as well hike around and see what else I could see.

the blazing sun


I brought along my Amsterdam Virtual Challenge medal which arrived a few days ago. 
I wanted a photo of it while "out & a out".  

By now the sun was fully high in the sky.  The sky was not bright blue due to the smoke and the smell was not bad so I carried on. The trails were lined with the flower of Alberta, the Alberta Wild Rose.   

Bumblebee in a Wild Rose

a beautiful Wild Rose

This is my version of that beautiful Wild Rose which I painted later in the day!  

While putting paint on paper, I had a table fan on my face, while taking sips of an Austrian Ridler, with an ice cold tie around my neck, I was able to feel comfortably cool!  Whew! 



8 comments:

  1. Beautiful moon and sky photos. I love the pretty flowers and your painting is lovely. Take care, have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the colour of the moon and I wonder if it is that colour due to the wildfire smoke.

      Delete
  2. You were brave heading up there in the pitch black…never know what kind of creatures would also be out & about!!! Beautiful photos of the moon though & love your rendition of the wild rose! ❤️Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my bear spray with me just in case!!!

      Delete
  3. Alexandra, Hard to keep to a short comment on this post, but I’ll try. 😊 Just an amazing job of journaling, in a virtual way, of your outing to Nose Hill to capture the Full Buck Moon. Congrats on all the neat photos and on your good luck getting by all the “Whew!”s. In your very first image, I wonder if the darkness at the top of the moon is the wildfire smoke? Love the second image with the moon setting into the trees in the distance. Congrats on your Amsterdam VC medal. Lastly, great artistry with the Wild Rose. John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder that too about the colour at the top of the moon! A friend in Nova Scotia who also took photos of the moon when it was full there shows it as grey colours. The Whew's were not enjoyable at the time but I chuckle now at them, except for the heat!

      Delete
  4. That's determination to get up at 4:00 Am. You got some good photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good timing for the moon photos. It was not as clear as it began to set into what looked like smoke.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.