Saturday, July 20, 2024

wonders of nature

It feels like I am learning lots lately and I like it like that!  It takes time though and I have been enjoying investing a little more time in understanding what I am seeing and hearing when I am "out & about".  The more I learn, the more I want to learn.    

Over the past couple of days, I was presented with much to wonder about nature!


I may have been the first on these trails on this morning, there were cobwebs galore that I brushed aside while meandering along.  I came upon four deer, three adults and a young one still sporting its spots.  The three adults were fiercely chasing each other while the little one tried to keep up with one of them.  It was a rather frantic few minutes. At one point the young one seemed to not know which direction to go, but, it then went, frantically just like the adults!   


The European Starlings are not native to Canada.  They reproduce quickly and that has been obvious while "out & about" this past while.  They are considered a pest and invade the nests of other birds.  I have  seen this in action as they overtook a woodpeckers cavity nest and a swallows cavity nest.  On this day, I spotted these two waiting for a parent to bring snacks.


On the same day in another part of the park, I saw three Starlings in this nest.  I watched then an adult swooped in with treats.  I was not quick with the switch to video it.  I waited, knowing there would be a repeat and soon thereafter, I captured this video.  


This is a beautiful wonder of nature!


a juvenile House Wren

This is a Clay-coloured Sparrow and I am going to go out on a limb and say it is juvenile. 

an American Goldfinch

a Lincoln's Sparrow

As long as we are under this heat dome, I am content with spending additional time inside on my computer during the heat of the day, learning more about the wonders of nature.  



14 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Beautiful captures of the deer and all the birds. It is sad to see the non-native birds are taking over invading the native bird nest. You captured all the birds beautifully, great photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am learning more and more about native bird nests being invaded, I did not know it was such a common thing.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful collection of birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are the chances of seeing the two bucks!!!! And that fawn is too cute. ❤️Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poor little fawn was getting its exercise trying to keep up with Mom!

      Delete
  4. Learnt from 'Google Alexandra' - baby deer lose their spots. I just love that video of her/him! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!Ha! Thank goodness for google, I go there lots!

      Delete
  5. Starlings are cavity nesters. They compete with other birds like purple martins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder when I see Starlings in the cavities, is it an original Starling cavity or a take over!

      Delete
  6. Starlings are a problem here, especially in their short migrations when they swamp the bird feeders and leave the birdbaths full of poop. We had a pair one year nest in our attic after pulling open the soffit under the roof overhang. We threw their nest out twice then had to hire someone to make the soffit starling proof. A beautiful bird where they actually belong. I love your series of photos and videos. Nature is a lot of fun studying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was quite the ordeal and expense you had to endure due to the Starlings! I wonder if in countries where they belong, do they invade nests of other birds!

      Delete
  7. Yep I love learning new stuff everyday too. Gorgeous deer and wonderful velvety antlers. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thankful the capacity to learn has not diminished for me as time passes!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.