Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Forum Lake Waterton Lakes National Park July 30, 2024

Just as I pulled into the Akamina Parking lot to hike to Forum Lake, five hikers were starting up the trail.  In some locations it brings comfort to know there are others in close vicinity ahead of me.  I knew others would come later.  There was rain in the forecast for this morning so I was prepared for that.  As it turned out, the rain never did materialize.  It was overcast with a slight breeze, I like it like that while gaining elevation!
lots of fireweed

As I neared Akamina Pass, I met a lady who just left the backcountry campground and was continuing on her way north along the Great Divide Trail.  I turned around to see her hiking through the trees and snapped this shot.  In a matter of minutes, along come two guys who were also hiking the GDT. Due to the wildfires, their trek is cut short so will not be able to hike much further north.
At the stone boundary marker at Akamina Pass.  Looking at this photo, the left side of the picture, my leg is in British Columbia and the right side of the stone, my leg is in Alberta.


a meadow of wildflowers

nearing Forum Lake

arriving at Forum Lake

Just as I arrived at Forum Lake, the five hikers I saw at the parking lot were just leaving to continue up to Akamina Ridge.  We chatted for a few minutes then they went on their merry way and I had the Lake to myself to play. It’s just what I do! 
time to settle down to savour the scenery and snacks 
White-crowned Sparrow
No one else arrived while I was at the Lake, but I met many on their way up as I was descending. It was quite warm as I was nearing the end of the hike and I could see lots of blue in the sky over the townsite.

I drove to the picnic place that I was at yesterday.  This time, I sat in the open with my bear spray close by.  The wind was strong which kept the temperature comfortable.  The waters are quiet these days with non motorized watercraft not being permitted.  It was always fun to watch the kayakers and windsurfers. 

Time came to retreat to my home away from home!

Then time came to sit in my patio with a beer and bag of chips!



6 comments:

  1. The colour of the fireweed is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing all that pink out in the wild captures my attention every time!

      Delete
  2. Hikers ae the greatest. Great to visit with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy finding out where they are visiting from and hearing their hiking stories!

      Delete
  3. Another gorgeous day in your little bit of paradise (and no bears…yay!). ❤️ Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No bear sightings on this day but did see one on the side of the road the following day.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.