Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Upper Rowe Lake Waterton Lakes National Park July 31, 2024

More blue sky and clean fresh mountain air with lots of wind was forecasted again for today!  I’ll take that any day and I did for the hike to Upper Rowe Lake.  Just like yesterday, hikers were starting up the trail as I pulled into the parking lot.  Geared up and ready to go!

I hiked this trail in 2022.  What I noticed this time around was that the foliage is fuller and along some stretches it is very closed in so much so that I could not see my feet.  I pushed the brush aside as I hiked through it.  This section near the beginning was so pretty with morning light making the green look so green.


There were plenty of Paintbrushes lining the trail.  The majority of them were past their prime.  These were the best of the lot.

a Willow Flycatcher 

For quite awhile early on, I could hear the hikers in front of me but I could not see them. I believe eventually they turned off at the junction and carried on to the Lower Lake.  I don’t care for that one so passed on by.  After the long steep switchbacks, I came upon the opening where I could see Upper Rowe Lake through the trees.

As I suspected, no one was here.  Before settling down for an early lunch, checking out the area and taking photos was in order.  My destination selfie shot!

This was one of two Barrow’s Goldeneyes that were at the Lake.

Yellow Columbine 

This time I ascended the slope at the back side of the Lake to get an overall view.  Carrying on around the backside was calling me but my inner voice was stronger and said not on your own you won’t.

gorgeous surroundings and oh so peaceful 

It wasn’t until I started descending the switchbacks that I met others on their way up. It was a hot climb up, it was cold and windy at the Lake, I still felt cool while descending, so after crossing this creek I stopped to take the extra layer off.

views from the meadow while removing the layer 



The long stretch through the thick forest on the way back was uneventful other than crossing paths with many others heading in.  A group of eight horse back riders were riding in also.   I heard many birds but could not see them.  Hawks of some sort were calling to each other as were Mountain Chickadees.  

When I reached this section, I knew the end was near.  As I rounded the last corner I could see the parking lot through the trees, twenty minutes later I was back at my car.  

Stay Tuned for what I have to report after returning from being off the radar!


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos yet again and what great luck with the weather! Will be watching for your updates from Montana! ❤️Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to be able to score last minute accommodations once I see a stretch of nice weather is forecasted!

      Delete
  2. A grand day! Don't keep us holding our breathe too long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to be off the radar if even for only a few days!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.