Thursday, August 1, 2024

Waterton Glacier International Peace Park August 1, 2024

In 1932 Waterton Lakes National Park and Glacier National Park created the first international peace park to share responsibility for its care and protection.  


Over the years, I had numerous few day trips to Glacier National Park to hike but I have not been since 2016.  Last year a friend and I took the boat from Waterton to Goat Haunt in Glacier Montana to hike for a few hours then took the boat back.  That tiny taste of Glacier sat on the back burner in my mind until this summer when the thought of returning came to the forefront.  


Just like trips to Banff National Park in Alberta Canada, much has changed over the last couple of years for Glacier National Park in Montana, USA also.  Spending time in either National Park almost seems elusive these days.  It takes time and effort along with patience and paying a pricey amount to put an actual trip into place and to execute it.  Well, I went through all that and now here I am in Glacier National Park in Montana in the United States.


I left Waterton Lakes National Park this morning but before doing so, I drove the Akamina Parkway to view Cameron Lake while there was no wind and I could capture a beautiful reflection.  While I am standing in Canada, I am looking across the Lake to the United States. 


About thirty minutes after exiting the gate at Waterton Lakes National Park, I entered Glacier National Park at the seasonal Chief Mountain Border Crossing.  The first stop along the way was at St. Mary to gas up and purchase a few grocery items.  This was my next stop, the St. Mary Visitor Centre which is just beyond the park gate.  
Once I left the visitor centre, I drove along the Going-To-The-Sun Road to Logan Pass. This summer a booked time slot is not needed to drive from the east heading west on this Road but a booked time slot is necessary if you are driving from the west side of the Park and heading east.  I stopped at a few spots along the way and had hoped to get a parking spot once I got to Logan Pass but that did not happen.  I knew what I was in for when I entered Glacier National Park and it was exactly how I expected it would be. I packed my patience!!!  With time to pass, I drove to the Rising Sun Boat Dock and settled on the beach to while away an hour.


view from along the St. Mary Scenic Overlook Blackfoot Interpretive Trail

I left St Mary and aimed for Many Glacier.  At 3:00pm I was permitted to enter through the Many Glacier Park Gate. If entering between 6:00am and 3:00pm a booked time slot would be necessary unless you have accommodations reserved. My accommodations did not take effect until 4:00pm.  I know, oh the details!  I passed through the park gate a few minutes after three and shortly thereafter arrived to where my home away from home was.  I sat on the verandah of the office for a bit before checking in.   

view from the verandah

This was the entrance to my home away from home.  
A cute little motel nestled in the trees away from all the hustle and bustle.

My room was lovely!  This was the view out the window! Nothing but forest! "Into the forest I go to loose my mind and find my soul!" No WiFi!  No cell reception!  I loved it!  I slept with both the curtains and window wide open.  


4 comments:

  1. I hope everyone else packed their patience. A stunning reflection and I love the hanging basket of petunias.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed we were all on the same page with packing patience, no one was going anywhere fast!

      Delete
  2. WOW, didn’t realize all the “rules” however looks like the wait was well worth it! ❤️Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ever since our world changed in 2020 many more rules needed to be put in place due to the growth in tourism to the National Parks.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.