Friday, August 16, 2024

a bit of bright on August 15, 2024

This was the view that greeted me when I arrived by the Bow River at the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary this morning, August 15.  What a bright and colourful scene! This look could only mean one thing, which is, wildfire smoke is upon us once again!  It was not bad when I left home, I could not smell it plus there were bits of blue high in the sky.  All felt good so I went about a morning of birding.  

What stood out were the number of American Goldfinches both Adults and Juveniles.  They were active and entertaining, so bright and colourful. They captured my attention and I invested lots of time savouring these sightings.  Seeing so many young ones so late in the season peaked my curiosity.   I did enjoy seeing other birds but I will focus on this species for this blog post. I spotted five young ones belonging to two separate broods.  I was only able to capture photos of three of the five in addition to photos of two male adults. 

The following two photos are of two different juveniles belonging to the same brood.  They were on separate branches on the same tree, both seemed to be waiting for breakfast.  They did not move from these spots.  I could see part of another one close by partially covered by leaves.  I waited awhile but no adult showed up with snacks.  


This is an adult male American Goldfinch that was in another part of The Sanctuary.

Off in another direction, I spotted activity deep in the trees. This was what I saw, a male feeding a juvenile.  A second juvenile was out of range of this photo and for the time that I watched, the male did not bring snacks to the other juvenile.  

 Finally, I switched to video mode to record this.

I did not spend the length of time at The Sanctuary that I had planned.  The wildfire smoke came in quickly and enveloped the area.  I hit the pathway to the parking lot, closed all vents in my vehicle then aimed north.  When I checked the air quality rating once I got home, it said +10 on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst!  I was home to stay for the rest of the day!

I went on a learning lesson!  I googled the American Goldfinch to satisfy my curiosity.  They breed and nest later than other species.  They begin to breed in late June.  Peak nesting season for them is late July and even into early August.  They begin this whole process later because they wait for when plants have produced fibrous seeds to build nests with and to feed to their young.

The balance of the day was spent inside, so to pass the hours I created this watercolour painting from the photo I took this morning.  I wanted to stay with the theme of bright and colourful while it was grey, dark and dismal outside. 



18 comments:

  1. That sunrise looked so beautiful, until I realised what it meant. It is so wonderful that you have devloped a love of painting to fill these hours when the air is so poor.
    The little chap seeems incredibly hungry but ungrateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a challenge for me to stay in side on a summer's day! I have been out & about when the rating is at 4 and 5 but I end up with a headache, scratchy throat and watery burning eyes. I want some kind of fulfillment from each day and watercolour painting does the trick when being outside does not!

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen any goldfinch this year yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It almost seems like there is a baby boom of them this summer!

      Delete
  3. Hello. Great photos of goldfinch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    The goldfinches are adorable, love the video of young being fed. The sunrise is lovely, your sketch is beautiful.
    Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love goldfinches and we didn't see as many this year at our feeders. Thanks for sharing. I would love to be out in a place like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful place to wander about and lucky for me is very close to home! It seems like there is a baby boom of goldfinches this summer.

      Delete
  6. Unfortunate we have to endure the smoke to get these types of sunrises/sunsets but a beautiful watercolor rendition! Love the video…he/she is so cute. ❤️Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how the young birds get excited when their parent arrives with a treat! For the sun reflecting in the water in the painting, I used masking fluid in the way we talked about.

      Delete
  7. As always, neat photos and interesting commentary. I'm really enjoying your blog. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! I am trying to be more diverse with what I post. I like how you cover a variety of topics in your posts.

      Delete
  8. Such a contrast between the vibrant goldfinches and the encroaching wildfire smoke. Your watercolor is a lovely counterpoint to the gloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's healthier to focus on the positive so that's what I look for and if it is not there then I create positive in some way!

      Delete
  9. How stunning the morning sun is! You will catch some signs of autumn soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel autumn in the air especially in the early mornings!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.