Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Perseid Meteor Shower

Not only have the full moons this year captured my attention but so has the Perseid Meteor Shower!  The meteor shower will peak on late Sunday night August 11, 2024 and into the early morning hours of Monday August 12, 2024.  That being said, the meteors should also be visible, but not as many,  a few late nights and early mornings before and after those dates.  During the peak dates, the moon will only be at 1st Q which is better for viewing the meteors compared to the brightness of a full moon.

The thought of being somewhere during the peak hours to watch the shower is mulling around in my mind!  I know I would need to be out of the city in an area with no light pollution.  I would want easy access to my vehicle if need be.  I don't want to have to physically work to get to a good viewing location. I did that back in 2010 in August on Friday the 13th! That was an amazing experience, I was fortunate to be able to share it with a friend and I was fine back then with climbing to a mountain top for that adventure. 

While the thought of being somewhere was mulling around in my mind, Forgetmenot Pond popped into the middle of that mulling.  I knew I had no night time photos of the location so I looked through what photos I had.  I then did a bit of googling to see if others shared nighttime photos of the Pond. Then came the idea of laying paint on paper showing what the Perseid Meteor Shower might look like at Forgetmenot Pond!   

what brainstorming a painting looks like

day time photo to use as a reference


Turning day time into night time!  This is the outcome of all that mulling and brainstorming!  I wonder if this is what the Perseid Meteor Shower could look like at Forgetmenot Pond! This painting may be enough to satisfy the wondering without venturing out there!  


On a side note, the whole process of creating this painting was the perfect distraction from dealing with the damage to my home after Monday nights violent hail storm.  The time between when the Emergency Alert came through and when the storm actually hit was only a matter of a few minutes, not near enough time to do anything to protect anything other than to curl in a ball in a safe place inside. I had a pillow over my head to lessen the sound as I thought my eardrums were going to burst.  I have never been so scared from a storm passing over!  It felt like it went on for eternity!  

My vehicle is older so the bit of damage to it is not worth the worry.  I spent a couple of hours or so cleaning up around the outside and then taking photographs of all the damage to the outside of my home to forward to the Condo Management Company.  They will be on site tomorrow morning to inspect all units within the complex.  I am thankful, even though I own my condo,  I do not have to deal with all this on my own like the owners of stand alone homes do. There is some damage that I will need to take care of but I can handle that.  It will be a long process to access all the damage and then to actually get all the repairs completed.  



8 comments:

  1. “This painting may be enough to satisfy the wondering without venturing out there!” You’re absolutely right. I used to have a summer cabin in a remote part of Montana and had great dark skies at night. Your art reminds me of Perseid back in those days. Wow, sorry to hear about the damage from the hail storm. Glad you stayed safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be so nice to own a cabin in a remote area where you could savour the sights of the night sky! When I was in Glacier and sitting on the Swiftcurrent verandah, I talked with another couple from Seattle who own a cabin along the highway between Columbia Falls and East Glacier. They drove from their cabin and were at Swiftcurrent for the night as they were hiking to Granite Park Chalet the next day for two nights. He told me he is 72 years old.

      Delete
  2. Those storms are stressful and scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They even say the clouds were seeded! I can't imagine what it would have been like if they were not seeded.

      Delete
  3. Your painting is beautiful. The storm sounds scary, sorry about the damage. Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love this painting. It is filled with the mood of the meteor spectacle!
    I was stunned by your photos of the hail. Scarey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt much enjoyment working on this painting especially when I was blending the colours of the night sky! In my complex of about 40 condos, we all have dozens of holes in our siding and roofs, damaged fences, decks and vehicles. Luckily a large tree protects my vehicle so I did not get as many dents.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.