Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Glacier National Park Montana Day 3 August 28, 2024

 


Fishercap Lake & Redrock Lake

August 27, 2024


Before getting on with today’s story, I need to finish yesterday’s!  After returning from hiking to Iceberg Lake, I felt I had a little more in me so added on another roughly five kilometres before returning to my sweet home away from home.  I followed the trail to Fishercap Lake and then to Redrock Lake. I wanted to make the most of the day!  Elevation gain was minimal.  By now the wind was on the wild side with strong gusts.  


at the junction where I decided to carry on to the other two lakes


view to right from the bridge over the creek
I took the trail through the forest down to the shore of Fishercap Lake. I preferred this route rather than following the trail above the lake. People were tucked in the trees along the shore sheltered from the wind. When I was here years ago I saw  two moose in the water.  This time there were none while I was there.  
I could see white in the lake at the far end so I continued along the shoreline to get to where it was.  There were loads of tiny white flowers in the water. 
This is a close up.
At the far end of Fishercap Lake, I found a trail that led back up to the main route and followed it towards Redrock Lake.  This was the view along that trail. 

I spent some time at Redrock Lake sheltered in the trees with a lovely view of the water which at times had little whitecaps.  The wind was so wild, at times a dust storm passed in front of me while I sat here.  I could see the clouds building off in the distance. No doubt that wind and those clouds were bringing in the forecasted rain.  

On the return hike, a trio of hikers coming towards me, one with bear spray in hand, warned me that a few minutes prior a black bear with two cubs crossed the trail in front of them.  The cubs tried to climb a tree but were not successful then the three scampered off up the hill.  Once again, I was extra vigilant!
view on the return portion of the hike

By the time I finally entered my room, I was pleasantly depleted, but not depleted enough to stop me from savouring a “Huck It” Huckleberry Blonde Ale.  Soon thereafter the rain started and it was relentless.  I had accomplished sweetly venturing out there to Iceberg Lake, Fishercap Lake and Redrock Lake, where I was in my happy place and I was now happy to be inside my place I called my sweet home away from home.


Now on with today! 

August 28, 2024 


I slept with the window open and woke to the sound of rain!  I postponed getting up as I knew I would probably not be hiking today. After luxuriating for quite awhile, it was time to get on with the day. This was going to be a “save the day” kind of day and save it I did!  


After coffee, then breakfast, I freshened up, got dressed for the weather and wandered over to the Ranger Station to chat up a Ranger. Next on my agenda was to drop by the gift store to purchase a book, reading could fill a couple of hours through the afternoon and evening. Then I drove a few minutes to the Many Glacier Hotel to sit by the fire and people watch. Many people were on the same page as me at Many Glacier Hotel.  So far so good with my “save the day” skills.  


This was the view from a trail near the Many Glacier Hotel.  While it was rain down where I was, it was snow up there on the mountain top.

the lounge was not open yet


the sound alone was soothing and warming

Carrying on with the day and now back at my sweet home away from home, I started my new book which grabbed my attention quite quickly and held my interest for close to 100 pages before I needed a break.  


My “save the day” skills were proving to be tried and true!  Break open a  “Huck It”! It was the perfect beverage to savour while salivating over hiking trail descriptions and photos.  Top that off with Huckleberry Sea Salt Chocolate Bark and it was turning into a sweet day!  But it was not over yet!  


With pen in hand I created a pen sketch of one of yesterday’s Iceberg Lake photos.  I did what I could with what colours I had. While, I have green and brown ink pens, they were at home. I know I definitely want to do a watercolour painting from one of my photos of Iceberg Lake.  
Stay tuned for that!
my reference photo for the above ink sketch

The day was flying by yet I still had more "save the day" activities to complete. I had another “Love Letter” to write along with two postcards. 

Also during this "save the day" kind of day, I squeezed in lunch mid way and when it was getting later, I needed to make time for dinner!  Oh by the way, the rain never let up and the mountain tops were now bright white!  I saw the snow when I ran out to get more ice for the cooler.  


Day turned to dusk which turned to dark!  The rain was still falling as I laid in bed falling to sleep!  It was not the kind of full day I had in mind when booking this adventure to Glacier National Park, yet it was a full day indeed in a beautiful mountainous place!  My "save the day" skills grew even stronger after putting them to use today!   

 


5 comments:

  1. Too bad about all that rain but sounds like you made the most of it. ❤️Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I have the good fortune to get there another year, I think I would try and stay and extra day so I could purposely fit in a day like this day. It was an enjoyable day!

      Delete
  2. You saved the day perfectly in my book. Time by the fire would have been top of my list and then watching the mountain top turn white. You certainly filled day one perfectly too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been nice to sit by the fire for longer but other people were hanging around looking like they would enjoy sitting here too so I thought I better move on.

      Delete
  3. I wanted to read some more of your posts! What a fabulous trip and beautiful sights.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.