Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Glacier National Park Montana Day 2 August 27, 2024



Iceberg Lake, Many Glacier

August 27, 2024


When I was at Many Glacier in early August, the hike to Iceberg Lake was closed due to bear activity.  For this visit to the area, the route was wide open with no warnings of any kind.  Yet, I still went prepared and knew to be bear aware!  Today was go day especially with rain in the forecast for tomorrow.  


The trailhead was just a few minutes of walking from my front door.  I could see others ahead of me and as I hiked along, I could see others coming behind me.  We played hopscotch as we all hiked along.  I hiked to Iceberg Lake three times, the last time was in 2016.  I remembered a few things about the route, but lots of it felt like new.  


The lighting at about 7:45am when I snapped this shot, was absolutely gorgeous. 
a few minutes later it was even more beautiful 

Once most of the elevation gain was done very early in the hike, the trail levelled off and the view became wide open.  It was here that I had the first sighting of the Ptarmigan Wall which is the jagged far off line of peaks that runs from the middle to the right. Iceberg Lake is a jewel at the base of that Wall.

By now myself and other hikers were hopscotching each other. It was a slow go for me due to lots of picture taking especially when I came to these red shades and also as the view of the Ptarmigan Wall became clearer.
along the red trail
Before entering the bushy section, I passed by a couple and also a group of seven. Each time we passed each other, we had short chat sessions. From this vantage point I could tell that Iceberg Lake was below that line of snow which was still just over two kilometres away. 
the view behind me
these cloud formations hung over those mountains for the entire hike in

With about a kilometre to go to the Lake, when I rounded a corner, I saw a black bear coming towards me on the trail.  It stopped and I stopped.  We examined each other.  There was enough distance, I snapped a couple of shots.  It started to walk again towards me.  I yelled and expected it to take off into the bushes but it kept coming, I yelled again, it kept coming, it appeared curious about me or else it did not care about me.  It was a very healthy looking bear with a shiny coat which was good.  I retreated, rounded a corner and kept retreating until the couple and then the group of seven who I passed earlier, caught up to me. They heard my hollers but thought I was yelling out to someone else.  I explained what occurred. We hiked close together, with bear spray in hand.  The black bear was now no where to be seen!  Whew!  These are the two photographs I took.
 
when I rounded the corner, there it was

a quickly zoomed in shot, it was sniffing me out

We arrived to the top of the trail leading down to Iceberg Lake.  At this point they stopped to use the pitt toilet. I followed this trail down to the Lake.  

Others were already here settled on rocks near the water and I did the same.  What was different this time at the Lake, there were no icebergs.  Seeing them in previous hikes when I was here was always such a cool thing. Yet, it still remains an incredibly beautiful place.  After spending time relaxed on a large flat rock at the water’s edge, it was time to explore the far end where I saw others.  We took turns taking photos of each other.  

my destination shot selfie

my rock where I settled and had lunch

at the far end of Iceberg Lake


The couple who I hopscotched with were at the far end when I arrived.  She captured this photo for me.  It puts in perspective how big Iceberg Lake actually is and how high the Ptarmigan Wall is. 

view looking at Iceberg Lake at the base of the Ptarmigan Wall


a zoomed in shot of the top of the Ptarmigan Wall

After roughly an hour at the Lake, I was ready to begin the hike back. By now other hikers were arriving and some were leaving. I felt comfortable on my own, I just knew I needed to be very aware.  This was the view while crossing over the little bridge not far after leaving the Lake. 
During the hike back, the trail was busy with hikers who were on their way to the Lake.  I still remained vigilant of my surroundings.  It was an uneventful hike back other than sharing pleasantries with other hikers and enjoying the beautiful sights which made it the most event-filled!  
My home away from home is tucked down in the valley in the light green trees in the middle far right of this photo. That was still a few kilometres away. 
I followed the last little steep section down to the Swiftcurrent Valley. After crossing over this tiny bridge and reaching the junction to either my home away from home or to carry on towards Fishercap Lake and Redrock Lake, I took the trail to the two Lakes.   
Tomorrow's post will include the story about hiking to those two Lakes.  I was so grateful to have such an amazing adventure hiking to and from Iceberg Lake.  






4 comments:

  1. WOW, those photos of the lake and wall are truly awesome! BUT, you and your bear friends…I don’t know. 😳. ❤️Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of hikers say they have never seen a bear while out hiking and wish they would from a safe distance. I always say I have seen more than my fair share!

      Delete
  2. How calm were you to get not one, but two images of the bear. [I fully appreciate that you know how to keep safe when hiking.]
    A toally awesome hike and a majestic rim of mountain beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully it was a black bear and it was healthy, could have been a different outcome if it was a grizzly! The rim reminded me of parts of the Grand Canyon.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.