Wednesday, July 10, 2024

tiny touches of luxury



With an extreme heat warning for Calgary in coming days started making the news, I went into “make life happen” mode! An escape from the concrete was what I wanted but I didn’t know what I wanted that escape to look like.  I didn’t invest much time brainstorming nor googling,  quite quickly I came upon a two night opening for glamping out along Highway 40 “where life begins” in Kananaskis.


I could not believe my luck when I pulled up to my site and saw the location, the set up and the surroundings.  While my stay last month in Neustift Austria was luxurious, right away I noticed tiny touches of luxury here at my glamping site.  Luxury is in the eye of the beholder!

Not only was there shelter under the canopy, there was also shelter for a large portion of my space from tall trees surrounding the entire area.  Many hours were spent lounging around being lost in my book.  I brought along a few Austrian Radlers to sip while being lost.  I like how the book cover is all matchy matchy with the beer can.

a sky high view while lounging

During the extreme heat, it felt luxurious to still enjoy a fire 
when the night and early morning temperatures were cool enough.  

The forest was full of birds that announced they were awake and ready to start their day well before the sun came up. I joined them!  With my coffee…..
…..and book!  

At the last minute before leaving the city, I ditched my hiking gear and kayak.  I wanted to be lazy.  What I did do while on this glamping escape, was stop by every body of water along the 40.  This is Mount Lorette Pond.

This is Wedge Pond.  

wild Alberta Rose

looking at me, making an ID, then took off 

Opal Creek

It crossed my mind to kayak here at Upper Kananaskis Lake when I initially planned this escape.  I was just as happy to walk the shore and sit awhile.  The temperature got hot yet the water remained cold, I do not have cold water kayaking experience.


There was not the slightest of a breeze! 
Picture perfect reflection!

one of two Loons

My extent of birding was this!  While lounging at my glamping site, I turned on the Merlin app which listens, records, then makes IDs.  This is a great way to learn birds songs.  As each bird sings, the name lights up.

This young Robin was very curious!  It had lots to say for extended periods throughout my stay.  At times it came very close to me, that’s when I snapped this shot.

With nightfall, came the cooler temperatures!  Inside my glamping tent was so comfy, it felt like a luxury to get all snug as a bug in the big beautiful bed.  I left two of the four windows unzipped a bit and I did not use the heater.

lantern and shirt ready by the bed if needed

 early morning was my favourite time of day 

The only bear related incidents were driving safely by a bear jam and also seeing this sign at the Barrier Lake Day Use Area. I did keep my bear spray close by the entire time I was in Kananaskis.

walking the shore of Barrier Lake

a wonderful breeze at Barrier Lake

I love making footprints in the sand!

There were so many tiny touches of luxury throughout the three days.  These touches are at the far end of the spectrum from what most might define as luxury.  Being one with nature, it’s in my heart, it’s in my soul, how lucky in luxury I am!


8 comments:

  1. You can't lose with the Kananaskis. I liked cycling up to the pass when the highway was still closed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another luxury in Kananaskis, cycling to the Pass without having to deal with vehicles. I have never cycled there but I did it once west of Bragg Creek on Route 66 when it was closed to traffic.

      Delete
  2. Wow, the glamping tent looks nice. I love the beautiful scenery and a great capture of the Loon. I have become addicted to using the Merlin app. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been times when I forgot to cancel recording and dozens of minutes passed when I realized. Then when I looked at the birds it recorded, I was surprised at what I missed. The app is a great tool!

      Delete
  3. An absolutely way to beat the heat in style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic experience and treat from the heat! Love the mug owl..❤️ Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a bottle holder that a hiking friend gave me a number of years ago. She found it at a craft fair! You might like to create something along this line!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.