Monday, September 9, 2024

Confluence Park September 9, 2024

With a plan in place, I ventured across the way to Confluence Park to frame a few hours this morning!  The forecast for later in the day was the wind would pick up and bring in wildfire smoke along with rain.  I welcome rain but not the wind nor the smoke.  After meandering along a few trails throughout the Birth Forest, I popped out into the open to a beautiful sky and a welcoming wildflower!  

While following the path east that would lead me down to the creek, this caught my eye just before beginning the descent! It has been ages since I was "plane spotting".  What a sight!  I used my full on zoom and then some to capture this photo.  I now had a task ahead of me when I got home!  This plane arrived in Calgary from Belgium on August 31st carrying the worlds' 66 top show jumping horses.  Also on the plane were support staff, 3 tonnes of dutch flowers and the Rolex Grand Slam Trophy.  The Spruce Meadows Masters ran from Sept 4th to Sept 8th so soon the precious cargo would be back on the plane to depart Calgary.

I reached creekside and hiked along it in a westerly direction.  I noticed a change in the atmosphere and the view ahead.  I saw two bike commuters up on the hill, stopped and taking photos.  When I turned around to see what they were photographing, this was what I saw!  Oh no, it could only mean one thing!  Yes, just like that, the wildfire smoke began to settle in over the city. 
Now I would be framing the morning in a way I was not planning to!  In a way, it was time again to "save the day"!  The sun became my focus and I played with it!  Here it is being supported by a narrow bush. 

the sun being framed by another narrow bush beside the one in the above photo

The pink sun cast a pinkish hue to everything!

the erratic rock with a bird sitting on it

a view of the sun beside the erratic rock

the sun reflecting in the creek

Birds were not my focus but I could not help but listen to the beautiful tune of the Song Sparrow. 

The Vesper Sparrow sang its sweet song!

At least with the close up photos of the birds, the wildfire smoke was not obvious.  With the grey dull colouring, a bright spot stood out in the far off distance.  In total full zoom mode and then some, I was able to see the goat camp and the goats up on Nose Hill.  I watched through my lens and saw the goats work their way down the hill. I could also make out the dogs working to keep them as a close group.  

By the time I made it back up to the Birth Forest, I could see a dividing line between the blue sky and the wildfire smoke. Soon thereafter, the smoke took over the full sky.  Now that we are well into September, soon "larch watching" will begin.   The larch trees in the city are different than the larch trees in the mountains.  The city larches change later.  There are a few Siberian Larches in this photo, at the far left in the back, the smaller tree at front beside the first tall tree and a few are tucked in behind.  Some of the larches died last season.  I will be watching this section over the next few weeks, along with checking out a few other city locations with larches and of course a mountain trip or two to see the larches at prime time.




6 comments:

  1. 😩 about the smoke (great photos of the sun though) & 🤞for the rain to clear it out! ❤️Norma

    ReplyDelete
  2. 66 horses on an airplane blows my mind. I haven't been to the Masters for about 10 years. It was a great show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I just googled images of horses on planes! It's quite something! I have been to Spruce Meadows but never to see the Masters. I have watched it on TV though.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful landscapes and photos. Great captures of the birds and the herd of goats. The photo of the sun framed by the plant is one of my favorites. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a few tries to get the sun directly in the centre of the plant! Thank You for stopping by and leaving your comment. Enjoy your day!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.