Thursday, September 12, 2024

over the Harvest Moon

The full moon for September is called the Harvest Moon and will be at its peak on Tuesday, September 17, 2024 at 8:34 PM Mountain Time.  Yet, you will be able to see it from the 16th to the18th.  Just like last month's full moon, September's full moon will also be a Supermoon.   A Harvest Moon is not associated with a specific month, it could fall in either September or October, it depends on the day the moon is full closest to the Fall Equinox of September 22.  The full moon nearest the Fall Equinox rises at nearly the same time as sunset for several evenings in a row. This full moon got its name due to the bright moonlight in the early evening being an aid to farmers for harvesting.

There is an event occurring to go along with the full moon!  I copied the following excerpt from earthsky.org

"People in the Americas, parts of Antarctica, western Indian Ocean, Middle East, Africa, Europe, Atlantic Ocean, and eastern Polynesia will see a shallow partial lunar eclipse overnight on September 17-18, 2024. The steady golden light near the eclipsed moon will be the planet Saturn.The whole half of Earth facing the full moon – that is, the whole half of Earth that’s in nighttime – will see the lunar eclipse. Of course, lunar eclipses are safe to view with the unaided eye. Binoculars and telescopes aren’t required to view a lunar eclipse, but they do enhance the view. At this eclipse, only a small fraction of the moon will enter Earth’s dark umbral shadow. For the most part, the September 17-18, 2024, lunar eclipse will appear as a penumbral eclipse of the moon. In other words, as the eclipse progresses, you should notice a dark shading on the moon (Earth’s penumbral shadow), followed by the barest of dark bites (Earth’s dark umbral shadow) taken from one edge of the moon."

This is my watercolour painting of the Harvest Moon and will represent September in my 2025 Calendar.  I had an idea of what I wanted the painting to look like but I had no photos of my own to use as references. I googled how to paint a little barn and how to paint rows in a field.  I put my ideas together to create this image.

While I had no photos to use as references for the painting, I did find these photos that were all taken during September in Nova Scotia and looking at them got me in the harvest mood.  The full moon was taken from a vantage point at a beach.  The rows are grape vines at a vineyard in the Annapolis Valley.  I am standing in front of a corn field in the Annapolis Valley.  

Wherever I am on the night of September 17th, 
I will be over the moon if I get to witness the full Harvest Moon!


4 comments:

  1. Very creative & here’s hoping the skies are clear next week 🤞. ❤️ Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed for a sighting even if it is Monday night!

      Delete
  2. Lovely moon photo and your painting is beautiful. I hope to see the full moon, I am wishing it will not be a cloudy night. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuesday night is not looking good here but Monday night might be OK! I hope you have a clear sky and get to see the full moon!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.